Options

How well does the Academy prepare you?

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
I am currently enrolled in the Cisco Academy. I suppose the logical answer to my question would be that it does the best job at preparing you for the CCNA, since the material is straight outta Cisco. However, I can't help but feel completely overwhelmed with all of the information. Next year will be my second year in the class.

This previous year, we did Distance Vector protocols, Ethernet, RIP, IGRP, all the good stuff....I'm sure all of this is on the exam, but would anyone say that the Academy goes too in-depth?

Quick question, as for the actual exam, is it simply multiple choice, or are you required to physically work on a router?

Thank you!
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Think of the academy as an important source of learning about networking being able to pass the CCNA, but certianly not the only one. You need to 'diversify' your sources of learning (this is what others have advised me by the way). I don't think the academy will prepare you per say, you should research, read, and practice.

The point, don't depend on the academy in absolute terms and take initiatives of your own to go beyond.
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Thanks! Of course I never planned on taking CCNA without extra practice...Not that brave yet. Any info about the format of the exam?
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Vask3n wrote:
    would anyone say that the Academy goes too in-depth?
    I prefer to say it teaches you more than you need to know. :D

I found it highly repetitive on the INTRO material (semester 1 basic network stuff, and then TCP/IP was repeated in semester 2 again for those people who "didn't get it" in semester 1). By the time you got to touch a router at the end of semester 2 it finally because fun. Between the modules, labs, end of module questions, and the module exams, and practice finals -- it thourghly covered the material.

I took my CCNA 4 final on a Tuesday, did the practice CCNA exams on Wednesday, and got my CCNA on Friday.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!