Options

Passed 70-272 today -- here's the details about the test

voxicvoxic Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
50 questions, 90 minutes. I have no idea how many questions were not scored.

-Many redundant questions on using Remote Desktop and setting Windows Firewall to accept.

-Know the difference between share permissions and NTFS permissions

-Know the roles that DNS plays in networking and the systoms of a network adapter that has the wrong DNS server specified OR the wrong GATEWAY specified

-Know the role that the LMHOSTS file plays in name resolution, especially when a DNS server has been removed and replaced with a new one

-Know the various settings for Internet Security and Internet privacy settings. There were many questions regarding this. Also the popup blocker, i.e. how to enable a website to bypass the popup blocker

-Know how to configure various toolbars all over Office XP, 2000, 2003. ESPECIALLY OUTLOOK

-Know how to repair Office applications via add/remove. Know the file extensions used in Outlook (.pst) and Outlook Express (.dbx)

-PFIREWALL.LOG, look it up

-Know all the settings for the Windows taskbar

I still can't beleive how many times I was asked about using Remote Desktop and Windows Firewall.

I'm positive I am leaving some things out, so feel free to ask questions.

I used transcender.com practice exams -- Some questions from my practice exams appeared on the MCDST almost word for word.

www.ucertify.com also has some very good testing software and very good questions.

Comments

• Options
    Know Windows XP HOME!!! I was surprised at the amount of questions on here relating to XP home. XP Home shouldn't be used in any commercial or governmental organization. As a professional helpdesk technician, XP home (in my opinion) is not encountered very often at all. But for some reason Microsoft wants everyone to know it as well as PRO.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    voxic wrote:
    Know Windows XP HOME!!! I was surprised at the amount of questions on here relating to XP home. XP Home shouldn't be used in any commercial or governmental organization. As a professional helpdesk technician, XP home (in my opinion) is not encountered very often at all. But for some reason Microsoft wants everyone to know it as well as PRO.
    Think of a big ISP helpdesk that fields thousands of calls from home users. Think of a Corporate Helpdesk for a company with a Web Presence, maybe an online store. Joe Public can't get the shopping cart to save his items and he runs XP Home. Maybe a college Help Desk where students can check their grades and homework online. Perhaps they even have online classes. The examples could go on, so I can see why MS would include it on the test.

Oh yeah, and also a big congrats to you! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    voxic wrote:

-Many redundant questions on using Remote Desktop and setting Windows Firewall to accept.

-Know the difference between share permissions and NTFS permissions

Yes. I got many of these types you describe. Basically the same questions, just reworded in some instances.

Hint: because some questions are reworded, mark any question you're not 100% sure of becuase you may get additional info. from a subsequent question. Obvious, I know but may help others.
  • Options
    You are right. I didn't think about the helpdesks out there that support many home users. I have only worked for large companies and governments. To VPN or qualify for tech support, users must have Pro, it's in the SLA. I think i was just a little bitter that I didn't brush up on my XP Home knowledge as much as I should have. I dind't think there were going to be many questions about it.

Thanks for the congrats!