Options

No Post Members

GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
Just out of curiosity, do we not delete unused user accounts? I noticed that out of 835 pages of members, most of those pages are filled with users with 0 posts, some of which were registered as far back as june 2002.
Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    lool. icon_lol.gif you're hilarious.

ponder this equation:

damage paid by ads = (numberofusers X number of impressions)

10 X 10 would never be the same as 1000 X 10

get it. the good thing here is: we're building, the already built, family of brain-scum-****-free IT.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I just thought it was kind of funny that I scrolled through like 10 pages of user names with no posts. I'm sure they all visit the site daily, but are just to scared post. Hehe. icon_lol.gif
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i think every forum has its share of lurkers.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Most of those members do access our practice exams and printable versions of the TechNotes using their account... removing them wouldn't be a 'smart' idea...

I never been at an IT forum where accounts got deleted except people deleting their own account if they were required to receive e-mail ads al the time.
  • Options
    mollymolly Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't post that often but I use this site frequently
  • Options
    MrWilsonMrWilson Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I guess I really didn't take into a count the number of non-posting people that still use the site's resources. I know when I first tried to setup my account I had some problems getting the activation email, so I created a duplicate account that is still in the list of members. I just figured the other 20,000 0 post members were similar stories.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I post. But probably lurk more.

I'm pretty new at this tech thing, so believe the "eavesdropping" effect of the lurk is going to be of great benefit as time goes on as I read solutions to problems. Also, exam study resources are very good on this site.

Also, enjoy the "technobabble" of these guys. It gives an insight into tech slang and vocabulary--an important process in any field of endeavor.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    heheh Ah I see. Well I post here all i can. So i dont let anyone feel left out jk. Well the fourms are good for how can you say? Reality lessions? With people mosting the IT Field is hard to get into and blah blah blah what to expect. It really benfits viewers to understand how the field is at the time and also a dose of whats to come.

Also a bunch of cool nerd people here like me so i feel right at home :D
  • Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    why hate and delete user accounts? like they said, just because they dont post doesn't mean they dont read it daily or watever... besides this board is free to you, you aren't managing the site and why do you have a problem with user accounts? its just something you shoulnd't be worried about, how about worrying getting certs and getting jobs???
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shoot GhettoRambler - chill out my friend. Ghent was just making comment on something he observed - no big deal :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Also a bunch of cool nerd people here like me so i feel right at home :D

icon_lol.gif The preferred term is "geek", which is a nerd with social skills... nerd is rather negative. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A geek is a nerd with social skills. All that time I thought I was a geek!

Damnn.
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Actually my understanding of the situation is that nerds and geeks are both the same except that nerds are smart. Nerds can add to society through knowledge, while geeks live with their parents when they're forty and play Magic the Gathering and Everquest all day long. They also work part-time at McDonalds. :D

Cheeblie
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif Well in that case...

I learned the distinction from an author who consideres herself to be a geek...

A nerd, in the extreme way, is someone one with "thick" glasses held together with a plaster, and a small hat with a propellor on it ;) and no social skills except when communicating with peers... Remember "Revenge of the Nerds"?

A geek (read: computer geek) is someone that likes to go into detail, talk about it a lot and exclusively, and doesn't leave his computer out of sight except when he/she is asleep... perhaps the word computer is essential in front of the geek.

Would you consider B. Gates a nerd or a geek? (Choose only 1. icon_wink.gif )
  • Options
    curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
  • Options
    jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How can anyone come up with a better answer than that !

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    The_Network_EngineerThe_Network_Engineer Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea! Gerds I like that lol :D
  • Options
    longshotlongshot Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    icon_lol.gif Well in that case...

A nerd, in the extreme way, is someone one with "thick" glasses held together with a plaster, and a small hat with a propellor on it ;) and no social skills except when communicating with peers... Remember "Revenge of the Nerds"?

A geek (read: computer geek) is someone that likes to go into detail, talk about it a lot and exclusively, and doesn't leave his computer out of sight except when he/she is asleep... perhaps the word computer is essential in front of the geek.

Now I got to print new business cards...I got my terminology wrong on the first ones icon_lol.gif
    Webmaster: www.longshotdesigns.com
    Stunters Digital Artwork (It's halfway up now)
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aye, I be a lurker of many forums.

Basically I fall into the category of IT wannabe. I've finished University and been working for just over 2 years (in a kinda non-IT field), and have realized that I probably took the wrong thing, as my main interest is computers. So I lurk around many technical sites, read forums, buy the odd book, and think more and more about maybe picking up a couple certs just to further my knowledge. Generally I don't make any posts as I feel I really can't add a lot to the community, although if I do decide to go after some certs i'll certainly be asking some questions of you fine people.

However, since you asked.

Hello, my name is Kelvin (go by Beowulf, Sikandur, and Kelvin793 online).
    I'm a 25 year old Mining Engineer in Alberta, Canada.
    And I lurk where ever good tech info can be found :D
  • Options
    RidiculousOneRidiculousOne Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the most part, I'm a lurker. However, I do agree with the general consensus that this is a very good site that has accurate information regarding IT certification and info for those taking those certifications.

I will be a member of this site for quite a while after I attain my first certification. That is because this is a site that not only serves the use of certification, but it is also a site that has accurate information for reference.
    I once had many brothers and sisters...until my parents bought a sandbox.
  • Options
    EnforcerEnforcer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    curio wrote:
    Gerd

Don't forget the neeks ;)
    Mission statement : To change and deviate from the subject at the earliest opportunity.
  • Options
    KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    neek - a Nerdy gEEK
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007