Options

DELL laptop Freezes ***SOLVED***

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
My sons DELL frezes on the blue screen after the Microsoft Windows XP screen (the screen with the bar). It just site there with the hour glass.

I tried the following to no avail.
Boot to last known good configuration
I repaired the master boot record
I even tried to boot into safe mode but it freezes at the same location.

Is there anything else you guys can think of that I can try before I do a clean install?
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    You can always try to do a repair install rather than fresh so that you do save your data.

Additionally do you know if there are any hardware problems or is it just a software issue.

hard to tell whats wrong without being able to run some diagnostics to ensure that the hw is fine and then ensuring that the file structure is not damaged.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try a repair install if you have some XP disks. Use the same version that is installed on the laptop (Pro or Home). It won't work from Dell (or any vendors) OEM repair disks from what I read. Don't select the recovery console option. Go through and accept licensing agreement. Then select the installation you want to repair.

In depth version:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edit: LOL, u beat me by a minute!
  • Options
    I will try the repair installation after my chkdsk c: /p /r finishes
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I was going to suggest doing a checkdisk. Good thinking. If it is freezing in safe mode, there isn't too much in software that can go wrong without giving a blue STOP screen or error.
  • Options
    the chkdsk c: /p /r fixed the problem
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Great! You might want to do a system file check just in case one of the system files got damaged along with the filesystem problem.

Just be sure any questionable files are reported to be the correct version for the SP and patches you have installed. Sometimes SFC doesn't find out about a file upgrade and thinks the upgraded file is bad.