Options

Need Advice for Exam Next Saturday 7/29/06

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
I'm taking my CCNA next saturday.

I need some advice on how to study. I've already read Sybex Book.

I spend atleast 20 mins doing subnetting questions via - www.subnettingquestions.com, learning how to do that in my head.

But I'm having a hard time focusing on Reviewing. I don't know how I should breakdown the topics and review them. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    You should put alot of focus on:

VLAN's
    Subnetting
    ACL's
    Troubleshooting
    OSPF

I think personally that's where they hit the hardest. Having said that, Cisco sometimes put the odd "one in a million" question in there. So just know pretty much everything outlined in the CCNA blueprint.

Before the exam relax, like your teacher always said...Eat Breakfast and jot a few notes but dont overstudy.

GOOD LUCK!!

My two cents :D
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Next Saturday -- ah, the 29th.

You've still got time to study and learn -- but you should start reviewing to lock all those little factoids into your memory.

Check out the exam blueprint on the Cisco web site -- if you see something there that doesn't make sense to you, you might need to brush up on something (or ask here and get our guesses about what those vague topic lines might cover).

Since its hard to relax just before the exam, try to relax a little now while it should be easier.

Time Management will be important on the exam -- try not to spend much more than 10 minutes on those SIMs/Simlets. But you don't want to lose points because you were rushing either -- read the question, all the answers, then re-read the question again. Then, and only then, answer the question. There will be some questions where if you miss just one word in the question, there will be an obvious answer (that is wrong for the "real" question).

Oh, and if you haven't looked at the exam demo at the Cisco CCNA Prep Center, now would be a good time. Knowing in advance was the test interface and question types are should help a little with the pre-test jitters.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the help guys! I'm going to make myself some "**** sheets" tonight and tomorrow!
  • Options
    Puffy ElvisPuffy Elvis Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I strongly recommend reading Que's 2nd edition CCNA Exam Cram. It's a very short, small book that really highlights the most tested areas on the CCNA. I was amazed at how accurately the book pin-pointed highly tested topics and it allowed me to clear up some misconceptions I had.

The practice exams in the book are very helpful too, though the Measure Up CD tests they include are easier than the actual exam, so don't let yourself be lead into a false sense of security if you are flying through their practice questions.

Try to keep the timer in mind as you are taking the test. It is VERY common to run out of time unless you pace yourself appropriately.

Also, really know subnetting backwards and forwards. I can't emphasize this enough. It is common knowledge that a lot of people fail because they under estimate the complexity of subnetting questions. You have to be VERY comfortable subnetting... almost to the point where you can do it in your head.

Lastly, don't feel too bad if you don't pass your first time. The average is around 3 tries before passing. Think of your first try as an introduction to the reality of Cisco exams- if you pass great! If not, consider it a learning experience that most of us have gone through.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    One thing I have down is subnetting thanks to the website www.subnettingquestions.com

Only thing is, that site counts the 2 subnets we normally subtract for the Cisco exam. As long as I keep that in mind I do alright :)

Thank you for the suggestion. Right now I have Sybex, and Richard Deal's book.

Along with Preplogic's practice exams.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is the big day, been doing alot of practice questions, then finding weak areas and studying those, flash cards, and subnetting practice. WISH ME LUCK! :)
  • Options
    Good Luck tomorrow! icon_thumright.gif

Now is the time to try and relax...... and to stock the fridge with beer for the celebration!.
  • Options
    SpurSpur Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    847, nerves got the best of me at the start of the exam. :)
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    homerj742 wrote:
    847, nerves got the best of me at the start of the exam. :)
    Better luck next time
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    homerj742 wrote:
    icon_eek.gif

Once you've seen the exam.... you shouldn't have to worry about the "during test jitters" anymore -- so don't worry too much next time about the pre-test jitters either (those go away after about 15 exams :D )

You did beat me though... my one failure was by 5 points..... I think the closer you are to passing, the worse it feels. icon_sad.gif So shake it off and try not to let it bother you during your 5 day re-test waiting period.

Of course, you now have the added pressure of us expecting you to easily break the 900 barrier on the re-test.

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    so close , but don't forget next time go there prepare enough to pass !

Many go there very fast afyer the previous atempt and fail again.

I'm sure you'll pass dude , and I'll say congrat's to you in a matter of day's/week's !
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. It was definitely the pre-test jitters and I didn't hit my "groove" till about question 9.

however, I'm going to be very careful upon my retake, the worse thing would be to get a worse score! haha.

I'm going to reschedule for next saturday, and study my butt off again this week.

PS- NO SUBNETTING QUESTIONS, that's one of my strongest areas.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Did you run of time too? Focus on areas of weakness, but DO study for areas you are confident (at least brush up). Good luck,
  • Options
    Fortunately time wasn't much of an issue for me. I had a few minutes left by the end of the exam.

I took advice from here, keep on eye on your time, don't spend more than 10 mins on simulations.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    No subnetting? Not even questions asking for best IP address deployment on a network, or which IP is valid on a network?
  • Options
    Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh not bad, better luck next time. Try to find out what part of the exam really gives you a hardtime.
  • Options
    I know what part of the exam got me: the first simulation. I was so nervous and worried about spending more than 10 mins. And also, I wasn't used to the way the diagram was presented. That was the big thing for me.