Options

Traffic generator

EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone know of a good application thats freeware and easy to use?
Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$

Comments

• Options
    darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
  • Options
    Thanks, but not really what i was looking for.
    But i'm sorted now, i found a nice little ping program called hrping, it allows
    you to lower the ping interval so its possible to generate more traffic.
    If u want its here
    http://www.cfos.de/download/index_e.htm
  • Options
    darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What did you need to accomplish?
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
  • Options
    The app you provided a link for required a server and client, so i need to pc's end to end.I wanted something quick and easy to generate traffic.I dont like windows ping becase if im testing shaping the ping can time out giving strange results.In order to generate larger quantities of data i needed to increase the packet size which creates more serialization delay adding to the timeout and the frequency of the ping decreased, when i increase the timeout i still found it hard to maintain a large CIR without multiple pings of different sizes.
    This new ping program allows me to modify the frequency of the pings so i can send a small ping( low serialization delay) at a higher rate hence achieving my desired CIR.It also allows me to specify the size of packet rather than having to calculate the overhead for each ping i send.So all in all its a great little application to play with different CIRs.
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    This new ping program allows me to modify the frequency of the pings so i can send a small ping( low serialization delay) at a higher rate hence achieving my desired CIR.It also allows me to specify the size of packet rather than having to calculate the overhead for each ping i send.
    You can do the same thing with IOS.
  • Options
    Yes but if i do using IOS, i must specify repeat count, so if i want a continuous ping i specify 10000000 etc, then i get locked out of my router unless i want to break the ping.Using this application i'm free to do as i please
    with my routes.If you know how to put the ping process into the background and be able to call it to the forground please inform.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    ed,
    Why can't you telnet to the router you're on and then run the ping? Then go back to your original prompt with ctrl-shift-6 x.
  • Options
    I can do this but it doesnt give me any flexability,i have a 2511 so i console to all my equipment from my pc.If i want multiple flows i cannot use a router with one ping.From my pc i can ping using this program to multiple different loopback addresses give my multiple different flows.I'm playing with QoS, so
    using one router to ping isnt acceptable.
  • Options
    slajslaj Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How about using a 2nd PC for the ping command?