Options

New MCSE today ... Finally :)

TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

Today I passed my remaining exams for my MCSE. First, I passed the 70-294 in the morning and successfully passed the 70-293 exam in the afternoon.

My reviews:

70-294:
In my opinion this exam is very hard! I was sweating it the whole time and reviewed my answers twice! I never review my answers, but I am sure glad I decided to this time, because I found obvious mistakes that I made the first time through. Especially on 2 of the sims, I edited the GPO in the wrong spot and only caught myself after re-reading what it wanted a few times.

My exam primarily focussed on GPO's for the most part and almost every sim I had made me use the GPMC. I never really use this day-to-day, but after taking the exam I can see that it actually makes things easier when organizing GPO's and linking them to OU's.

My exam was 39 questions and I had 5 sims. I must say that I thought this exam was just as hard as the 291 exam, except with the amount of content that is required to be covered. I scored an 836 and overall the score report indicated about the same in all areas. I started preparing for this one at the beginning of June after I passed 298. My resources used were the MS Press book which I really liked for this exam, Transcender (Which I almost didn't buy), and Technet.

70-293:
This exam again kind of surprised me, and what's funny is that I scored lower on it than 294, but I felt it was easier. What got me was two of the sims icon_redface.gif

And I knew it as I was going through them, they were a little bit difficult and reflected on my score report for the Network Security section. Without going into too much detail they were referring to CA/PKI. It's discouraging because at work I set up the whole CA/PKI for the users on my network and I felt like a complete noob looking at the sim icon_rolleyes.gif
I hate when I click on something I want to look at from inclination and the MS sim doesn't open it because it's obviously the wrong choice. That's when you know you're in troulbe icon_lol.gif

The exam focussed heavily on IPSec, L2TP, CA, PKI, and Monitoring. Surprised that I had so many network monitor questions, but what the hell they are good review from 291. I had about 2 DNS questions with a little Unix flavor which I liked.

Scored an 806 on it. Used the MS Press book which IMO is a POS! Used Transcender again, and Technet. I have the Sybex books for both exams I took, and I just glanced through them so I can't say I really used them to offer some sort of good opinion on them.

Well, that wraps it up. Finally an MCSE icon_twisted.gif . It took me almost 13 months to get it with non-stop studying for the most part. My job really helped the most, as when I was studying it was far easier to comprehend the material as it was being introduced. Being a network admin at a MS shop can have advantages.

I'm going to take the rest of the week off and then start for the Security+ exam to achieve the 'Security' specialization for the MCSE. To be honest, I'm flat out broke from buying every MCSE Transcender exam icon_lol.gif

Someone said UCertify is pretty good, and after glancing on their website their prices are very good. I think I'll use them for Security+. Hey, last thing real quick .... Thanks to all the members who contribute to the forums. You guys were my last reference for study material. icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations with the 'passes' and the new cert! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif Congrats! You da man! icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Tekniques.

This is a nice acomplishment.... what after the Security+.....Cisco..... Ceiling repair? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SpurSpur Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SpurSpur Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Double post icon_redface.gif

Guess I can use this post to wish you the best of luck with your next exams :)
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude........you DA MAN angel.gif
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Well done , Welcome to the MCSE club!! :D
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

And good luck on the Security+ :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the nice comments!
    Congratulations Tekniques.

This is a nice acomplishment.... what after the Security+.....Cisco..... Ceiling repair? icon_lol.gif

Well, I am hoping to get involved into the security side of IT. After Security+ I may try the CEH or CWNA. I haven't looked that far down the road, but I know I would like both of those ones for sure. Eventually I will probably get into Cisco, but the problem is that in my current job I don't work with the products at all. We own no Cisco equipment. icon_cry.gif

And, if all else fails I could always take up ceiling repair

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Congrats on the two exams (and on the MCSE)! icon_cool.gif

I'll be doing the 294 in a week and so far it seems to be the easiest of them all. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
    witty comment
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Great job!

You might want to consider working on 299 for your security specialization, as it seems to follow closely with 293. I wish I had done that. What I really wish I would have done was try for the 299 on June 30th under the 2nd shot deal. Who knows? I could have passed! And if I did, I would have the security specialization by now, since I passed Sec+ last monday.

Interesting that you found 294 harder than 293. I found the opposite, although I also was suprised that I scored very well in 293 but not quite as high in 294. But then, I often troubleshoot AD issues often for clients. Having experience troubleshooting security leaks in NDS probably got me a head start with AD as well.
    I too didn't appreciate GPMC at first either, but when you're looking for all effective GPOs and where they are linked, it beats having to search through every OU in ADU&C.

But this isn't about me, this is about your great achievement!
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    congrats man!

i have chosen 70-431 to finish up mcsa. it counts towards mcse and gives you mscts:sql05. haven't heard many people choose this path. got the book today, looks tough hope i am not loco.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I agree with Danman32.
    Interesting that you found 294 harder than 293. I found the opposite

I actually regretted studying for 294. Due to my work and study's for the other exams I think I would have gone close to passing 294 with no study.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    grats man - now get back to work icon_twisted.gif