Options

Routing Simulator Suggestions

NicholasRNicholasR Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello.
I have been banging away studying for the BSCI exam and making good progress however I am now to the point where I would like to start practicing some configurations and play around with things and I have come to an impasse. For my CCNA I made use of a router SIM that was included with one of my textbooks and that worked just fine. The problem that I am facing now is that it is not sufficient for the BSCI exam. I did some poking around and found the latest version of the boson software for 500 dollars. I am a little short of funds (about 499 dollars) and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions or alternative router sims to try? Your assistance and input is appreciated.

Nick

Comments

• Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Google for "cisco rack rental".
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Check out the "I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator?" section in our CCNA FAQ.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Google for Dynamips. Dynamips is really an emulator that runs the real 7200 IOS image on Linux or Windows PCs. There is also a thread here in the CCNP forum.... once you figure it out, its great!

Dynamips is putting in support for a switch, in addition to emulating the 7200 router. Dynagen makes the configuration of Dynamips easierit and works on the Linux and XP. But you need a real 7200 IOS image to use it.

And as BubbaJ already said -- rack rental is always an option. Not as good for spontaneous study as real hardware or a working simulator -- but still a good option.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i recommend a real router
    simulators suck ...... running an emulated ios

get 2 2501's and a serial x-over for a nice start.
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Google for Dynamips. Dynamips is really an emulator that runs the real 7200 IOS image on Linux or Windows PCs. There is also a thread here in the CCNP forum.... once you figure it out, its great!

Dynamips is putting in support for a switch, in addition to emulating the 7200 router. Dynagen makes the configuration of Dynamips easierit and works on the Linux and XP. But you need a real 7200 IOS image to use it.

And as BubbaJ already said -- rack rental is always an option. Not as good for spontaneous study as real hardware or a working simulator -- but still a good option.

i'm not fond of router sims but this has caught my interest. icon_scratch.gif does it run better on linux or the same on windows platform? i have worked on 7200s but you all know playing with the configs at work isn't a fabulous idea icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    I have been using Dynamips for a few days, and it works quite well from what I have seen. It is not limited in the commands it supports (Because it is a real IOS image) but you are limited to serial and ethernet interfaces (not a problem for most stuff, but I need to do some ISDN. sleeping.gif

I also had some problems getting it to play nice with my network card, but have not really tried to fix that.

Peter
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    keenon wrote:
    does it run better on linux or the same on windows platform?
    Supposedly it runs better on Linux -- but I did load the windows version on XP and haven't had any problems. I've done the Dynagen samples and the Dynamips command line.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow this tool caught my attention, can someone tell me wheer can I get a 7200 IOS image. I am searching on the net and can't find it.