Options

Router's processor

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm reading a CCIE book on IOS and it talks about two types of CPUs on the routers: Motorola 68030 and the Orion/R4600.

Can you replace the processor on certain routers and what kind of processors do switches run on?

Cheeeers,

Comments

• Options
    ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    I'm reading a CCIE book on IOS and it talks about two types of CPUs on the routers: Motorola 68030 and the Orion/R4600.

Can you replace the processor on certain routers and what kind of processors do switches run on?

Cheeeers,

this is a CCNA forum. So try the right forum ;)
    :study:
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ms_visio wrote:
    this is a CCNA forum. So try the right forum ;)
    Sounds like a hardware question -- maybe the A+ forum? icon_lol.gif

I don't think routers are like laptops with different processors within the same model family -- mobile centrino vs full blown P4s, or possibly even different vendor processors -- like AMD vs Intel.

Some of the switches have different/updated/new route processor modules, but I've never paid much attention to the actual processors -- but I assume they are at least getting faster. :D

Hum, product specs -- sounds like a sales issue. I don't think I've ever seen anyone here ask about the Cisco sales exams.

I found the CCIE Practical Studies books more useful for the CCNA. I didn't bother with the Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture book until after I had the CCNP. But I guess reading the CCIE books from smallest to largest is also a plan. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!