Options

connectivity problem

rockydevrockydev Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi, i'm new in this forum :D . i have just purchased a couple of routers for practice. but i found that there is no COM port in my laptop. just 1 LPT port, 1 Lan port and 2 USB ports. now can anyone tell me how can i connect the console cable with my laptop? i have tried with a RS232 DB9 to USB adaptor but no luck icon_confused.gif . is it the connection problem or anything else? please help me...!! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That adapter you have (DB9 to USB) should work, but you may have to detect new hardware in Device Manager to get it to work. Some guys at work here use them and I just fired off an email to ask exactly what they have to do to get them to work. I'll re-post after I get a reply.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    aleksfaleksf Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi!

I am using a this one USB2Ser converter.
    Just install the driver's pack and after that it's a way to go!
    A very simple, indeed!

Also, if it is not working, try to switch between COM port numbers in a Device Manger's device properties advanced settings.
    I had a similar issue, then i changed the COM mapping, rebooted and got it working!
    Predator#show ver
    Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-JS-M), Version 12.4(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is what the guy emailed me:
    We have to go into device manager under ports and disable/enable whatever com port the device is on.
    But aleksf's reply may work better in the long run.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Some USB to Serial adapters don't work in certain environments because they don't produce the expected voltages that some devices expect, even if it is within RS-232 specs.

For a Cisco device, I would expect it to work though, as I would expect Cisco to design the console port to accept all valid RS-232 voltages, even if it is on the low side.

Verify the com port you're addressing in the terminal emulator.
  • Options
    hi, i'm using win XP home edition. and as i told you that i have no serial port in the device maneger so under the port only LPT1 is showing. pls suggest if there is any other way to change the com ports..?

in the hyper terminal settings i have only 3 options i.e. software modem, winshock and com3. i have selected com3.

the usb to serial connector came with no driver. but the system detected it as usb HID.

i have configured the hyper terminal as per the book but only blank screen is showing.

i more than one routers but all of them showing the same result.

feeling frustrated. pls help me...!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Does the option for COM3 disappear if the adapter is removed?
    There should be another device besides the USB HID. In any case, the properties of one of the resulting drivers should have an option to define the serial port emulation.
  • Options
    hi, finally i could solve the problem :D . i had to download a driver from the manufacturer's site and it's working fine. thanks to all of you for the suggessions. it really worked. c u soon icon_wink.gif

regards,