Options

server as a router?

JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
i just began reading a book regarding the 70-216 and i have noticed that microsoft seems to refer in several places to their servers as a router, stating that you must have several nic cards (one for each network) installed etc...How common is it to actually use a server as a router, and why wouldnt you just get a router? Ive understood that if you get two
network cards and turn on IP routing that they could act as a limited router of sorts but ive always thought that it wouldnt be a very good choice as an actual router. This concept has confused me a little, any explanation about circumstances that would use this feature would be of great help, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I know what you must be thinking as a CCNA: why not add a 1600 or 2500/2600 instead..

A Windows 2000 server can be used as a powerful router, it is easy to add different kind of interfaces and it supports OSPF, NAT, IPsec and much more....

But, I asked myself the same question many times, having worked in small and large, cisco and MS environments for about 9 years... besides routing and NAT on RAS servers, and some incidental backup line solutions, I never seen a Windows server actually being used as router in corporate environments. Perhaps in SOHOs, to save some money if they want to separate 1 LAN in 2, but then again... they wouldn't need OSPF ;)

Cisco routers are obviously more trusted with the task of routing, and in some cases even cheaper.
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was working at a school I used Windows 2000 as a router for a lab with 25 workstations because I wanted the machines in the class room to have internet access but the school only gave me one address to use on a private class A address. I Setup the router as a DHCP on private class C address and was able to give everyone access. Perfect for basic static routing situations.

I'm a big fan of software routers, http://www.freesco.org/ has a really good router based on linux that will run on most any computer. I've used it to share dial-up internet on a small network using a 386 computer stashed in a closet.

On small networks with budget constraints your boss will praise you for saving them lots of money by using a software router but if problems happen down the road it might mean your job. Get a real router for mission critical applications with two paths to every destination just incase.
  • Options
    JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies, its good to get the insights of people with good experience in the field. Unfortunately, true experience is something i dont have, but i do study hard and spend much time in practice labs, and hopefully this will lead to a foot in the door at some point. anyway, i had a hunch that actual routers would be much more prevalent in corporate environments. Its interesting to see things the "microsoft way" after spending so much time learning things "the cisco way".
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Using a server as a router is not very common in the soho environments that I see. Every once in awhile, you will find a cheap SOB that wouldn't spend the extra $75 on a linksys.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    $75 is a weeks pay for this cheap SOB.