Options

Exam question marked wrong. WHY?

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
I downloaded the demo version of SemSim 640-801, one of the lab questions is marking me wrong and iam positive me commands are correct.... read on:

Confirure the serial 0 interface with an IP address of 184.65.24.1. Assign a network mask that will optimize the number of IP addresses to be used on this WAN link between 'just 2 hosts' Once this is done turn up the interface and enable IGRP on the interface for the administrative domain 100. Adversie the network 184.65.24.0. Exit router configuration mode.

MY COMMANDS

router>enable

router#configure terminal

router(config)#interface serial 0

router(config-if)#ip address 184.65.24.1 255.255.255.252

router(config-if)#no shutdown

router(config-if)#exit

router(config)#router igrp 100

router(config-router)#network 184.65.24.0

exit

WHAT THE TEST SAYS IS "CORRECT"

router>enable

router#configure terminal

router(config)#interface serial 0

router(config-if)#ip address 184.65.24.1 255.255.255.252

router(config-if)#no shutdown

router(config-if)#exit

router(config)#router igrp 100

router(config-router)#network 184.65.24.0

notice the difference? i put an exit at the end and its marked me wrong, even though the question asks you to exit router config mode...

i hope the real test is not like this.
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This software package you have looks at the lines entered and if there is something different it marks incorrect, on the exam ciscos simulator is more clever and knows multiple options.In your config you do not need to exit at interface level, you can go directly by typing router igrp 100 from the interface mode.The questions asks you to exit config mode at the end.
    Anyway these are minor things,they are not marked down on the exam.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    aleksfaleksf Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wait a minute!

i always thought, that with a class B range you advertise just 2 first octets

like that:

router(config-router)#network 184.65.0.0

anybody could explain, why it has been done another way in this example?
    Predator#show ver
    Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-JS-M), Version 12.4(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
  • Options
    should be 184.65.0.0
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    no, look at the subnet mask, its 255.255.255.252 which means that the network address is 184.65.24.0
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Doesnt matter what the mask of the interface is, igrp is a classful routing protocol and like rip you enter the classful network address.Which i this case
    is 184.65.0.0.
  • Options
    Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It does not matter the subnet mask, IGRP and RIP are summarize at classfull boudnaries.

The way i see this problem is I think you got wrong on the exit maybe this is a simulator and it expect that some thing or should be put correctly
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    All the real test looks for is if you achieved your objectives. For example, if you had to fix/configure routing, does the routing table show the required entries, and can traffic go where it needs to go?

You don't even have to save your config, though I could understand if that was a requirement where you at least lost some points. If the router were to be rebooted, all your changes go bye-bye if you don't save.