Options

New CWNP announcement

evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
It looks like CWNP will be making another announcement on the 1st of August. Last time they had an announcement, they released the Wireless# certification. Maybe this time they will offer the CWNE cert materials and exam.

Also, they will have vouchers for sale at $100 for the exams on August 1st only. I am not sure if this will also include the practice test but usually the practice test comes with the package.
"You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Comments

• Options
    The announcement came out today and they have released the CWNE (Certified Wireless Networking Expert) certification.

Here is a link to the video about the certification.
    http://www.cwnp.com/eday.html
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Interesting spiel. So the main advantage is if you get the third test in by the end of the year you get two years grace period to pass the new test. However you only get to call yourself CWNE if and only if they like your resume. Can't see much advantage there except a low number but are you going to give it a shot evanderburg? Seems like it will be tough to get and they are trying to make sure it is not a paper cert without establishing hands on test labs around the world like Cisco and Redhat..

It will be nice to watch this develop. I did not seem to hear anything about how big a network has to be to qualify as enterprise, unless I missed it. I would guess the FAQ has or will have the answers. Hmmm a Starbucks hotspot factorial index maybe. :) I am sure that a college wide campus would qualify but does a 200 dell or apple notebook office setup even enter the picture.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I plan on waiting until January so that I can be certified for life. I will still have to go through the application procedures so I will need to contact some of the companies I have worked with to get endorsements. The application has you describe at least 3 major projects you have worked on. I guess that is where you get to prove that the projects were "enterprise" projects.

I agree with you about the hands on test lab. I think it would be much better if they followed Cisco's method for the CCIE and applied that to the CWNE.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    I agree with you about the hands on test lab. I think it would be much better if they followed Cisco's method for the CCIE and applied that to the CWNE.
    With the CWNP program being based only out of Atlanta, GA, anyone needing the hands-on portion of the CWNE exam would probably need to travel to Atlanta to take it. That'd be a severe limitation for a global cert.

More CWNE info on this thread at cwnp.com: http://www.cwnp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1865
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes I agree, they just do not have the infrastructure to go global hands on yet, but wireless is the future just as cell phones have finally overtaken wired phones. I am guessing that the uptake for this will not occur until next year just as evanderburg is doing because for most people finding three endorsements will take time. Unless you freelance or contract who has three endorsements handy. What about one from a single very large entity. I see fine tuning coming maybe.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO