Do Microsoft Certs Suck?

2»

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Grigsby wrote:
    For my CCNA I think I learned a lot of fundamentals of networking that I did not know before. There is a lot of proprietary stuff in there as well, but you also learn standards that everyone has to adhere to. Do you gain the same benefit from MS certs? I hope so, b/c it will probably be the mose lucractive and logical way to go.

Back in the day (NT 4.0 MCSE and earlier), there was an exam called Network Essentials that was part of the MCSE core exams. When the Network+ came out and picked up steam, MS removed the Network Essentials exam from the new exam track (Windows 2000). It is assumed that before you start the MCSE that you will have some networking background. I'm assuming that is why the A+ and Network+ combo counts as an elective.

A+ & Network+ doesnt count as an elective for MCSE...only for MCSA
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Sure do.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    From http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

As an alternative to the electives that are listed in the Electives Table, these third-party certifications may be substituted for an MCSE elective:

Certifications:
    CompTIA Security+
    Unisys UN0-101: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Solutions in the Data Center

Not even A+/Server+ listed here, as it is under MCSA.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Speaking as a brand-spankin'-new MCSA, I can tell you that Microsoft certifications absolutely don't suck. I finished my last test today, about two hours ago. I feel slightly violated, a little cold and used, but there was absolutely no sucking, whatsoever. . . icon_cool.gif

(And now. . . a head start on Martini Monday.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.