Newly qualified Network+

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
i would just like to thank everyone for the help with questions asked on the message boards and also for the technotes upon this site which is really useful!

how did i find the exam? well...........hmmmm :s

all i can say is i know everyones exams are different but i had only 1 q on the osi (which i was disappointed with as that is quite a strong area for me) had only 2 q's on ports. ftp and telnet. a few on cable specs. and the rest seemed to be general stuff and 2 security questions.

i admit i only scored 650 but i passed. i feel if there were more on protocols, osi etc i would have had a higher score!

what would anyone recommend next?

i fancied ccna but i simply dont work with networking day in day out so i wouldnt have enough experiance i feel whereas i work more on the MS side, so at the min i am leaning more towards MS certs.

any suggestions?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. :)
    How about the XP or MCDST?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    congrats mate, network+ is a good cert to have and lays an excellent foundation for network topics. Good luck with whatever you go on and do.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cheers!

Well i fancy XP but i am unsure....

check out the link below to another post of mine to see what you think with what i am saying?.....

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16275

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    congratulations!

Dont let the score drag your mood down, you're certified! Good job!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • 12beatechie12beatechie Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats nel!

How much time did you spend on preparing the network+ exam?
    The sky is the limit!
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey there,

i studied for about 2 wks in all. but i have been following the ccna 1 module as a apart of my degree all yr and i have also taken the network+ classroom course which my company put me thru!

• mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats nel, Keep up the good work.

Patrick
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    Well done, you are now a CompTIA Certified Network+ Professional, a great foundation stone for networking, and a rung on the ladder for other certs.
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
    thanks guys...

i have decided to go the mcsa route (i think) as i simply dont get enough hands on networking experiance to go for ccna. which is a shame because i would love to get to configure routers and build and design lan's and stuff. hopefully my degree will intoduce me to this but until i get some hands on i dnt think i will be attempting the ccna soon!

so i decided to take the mcsa route as thats the environment i work in from day to day although not with the servers directly (again) but hopefully it will be a start for better things to come....i'm just dying to get into a decent position so my mind can OD on all the new learning i would be doing lol

anyone have any comments on what i am doing next?

• kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Sounds like a good plan, that's exactly what I'm doing. As soon as I get my Net+ (hopefully next month), I'm starting on MSCA, probably with 70-270 first. I do mostly desktop support, but would like to expand into the server side, so MCSA seems like a good choice.
    hey man, well thats exactly what i do at the mo....

i am on the helpdesk doing desktop support.
    i am just reading the 270 book now - i am using the ms press one by tony northrup and walter glenn. its v.good book i would say.
    hopefully by doing the mcsa i will break my way into a junior sys admin role then i want to build upon my networking knowledge after that!

so fingers crossed for the both of us!

gd luck with ur net+

• plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    nel wrote:

i have decided to go the mcsa route (i think) as i simply dont get enough hands on networking experiance to go for ccna. which is a shame because i would love to get to configure routers and build and design lan's and stuff. hopefully my degree will intoduce me to this but until i get some hands on i dnt think i will be attempting the ccna soon!

anyone have any comments on what i am doing next?

Good stuff. icon_cheers.gif

I actually went MCDST after the Network+ and then did the 72-270 straight after as the MCDST preparation and testing helped a lot. Plus, you can use the MCDST as a foundation for the MCSA.

Good luck with all your future exams!