Options

What should i do?

confusedconfused Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am from Australia and I got selected for a job in some IT company. In the job description and at the time of the interview or even at anytime it was not written that this position is for Permanent Residents and citizens.

This position is for 1 year contract and I have the right visa to work for another year. No paper work is required or anything. But after getting selected and giving me a start date they wanted to pay me through some sort of scholarship which only Permanent residents/citizens can take.

I am 100 % eligible to work and i am selected but only problem is i cant accept the pay thru scholarship( as i am not a citizen). I am starting this week and I havent told them about this problem as i was afraid they may not take me or something.

So any suggestions on how to overcome this problem? I mean how should i tell them so that they dont get offended? Nothing else is required but they just have to make a contract employee rather than considering me through scholarship.

Is there a lot of paperwork involved if some company wants to hire someone for contract employment??

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Save yourself the trouble and just tell the the truth. If they can't pay you in a way that accomodates your citizenship situation, then you're better off finding this out NOW and proceed to finding a different job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I agree, unfortunatly if they cant pay you another way then you'll have to look elsewhere, better find this out now than on pay day or after starting work there.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I agree with the two other suggestions. It's possible they will find a workaround (I don't think they will go back throught the whole trouble of finding another person).
  • Options
    The sooner you tell them the more likely they will be to work with you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    confusedconfused Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks folks

but i just wanted to let u know that I am doing nothing wrong legally or in anyway. I can work 1 year full time on my visa. But during the interview or even in the job description there was no information provided if only citizens can work on this position. So i dint tell them about my residency status which i think is not wrong! (I just told what i was asked)

I will inform them in a day or 2 and lets see what happens.
  • Options
    We understand that you haven't done anything illegal. We're just saying that the sooner you tell them you can't take the compensation they are prepared to give you, the more likely they are to work something out with you.
    IT guy since 12/00