Options

Passed BCMSN!!!

qaadir10211qaadir10211 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
:D Finally I can take a short break. Pass BCMSN today with a score of 875. Now I'm 1/2 way to the CCNP. I intend to take BCRAN next, and top it off with a little bit of CIT. Any pointers on what you other folks are using to study for the BCRAN exam?
What should I say?

Comments

• Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats!

I am working on BCRAN using the Cisco press book, but after the reviews, I am probably going to find another one. I am also experimenting with everything I can (Between 2 routers, Netsim, and Dynamips), and using the online documentation to fill in some of the gaps.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!

I got by with the Cisco Press books and CCNP Flash Cards.... as always, download the errata from the Cisco Press web site for the books.

I also had the Sybex CCNP Complete Study Guide... a good backup book.
    PCHoldmann wrote:
    Dynamips
    Oooooh.... I haven't had time to try the last version I saw with the simulated switch.... have you tried that one yet?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    qaadir10211qaadir10211 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are Dynamips?
    What should I say?
  • Options
    What are Dynamips?

Its basically a MIPs processor emulator that will run the 7200 Router IOS file -- giving you up to 3 emulated 7200 routers on one Linux or Windows PC. ( can't remember if that 3 is a hard limit from the documentation, or more just memory/cpu limit -- only tried 3 instances at one time)

I think it was first talked about in a forum here in this thread
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15246

The URL is in the first post -- and I turned it into a link farther down in the thread. I also included the link to Dynagen -- a front end for Dynamips that works on Linux and XP. And the link to the Blog is also in there.

Dynamips is pretty sweet when you get it working. The only down side (if you don't have one) is that you need a real 7200 router IOS image.

And its been touched on lightly in this Router Simulator Suggestion thread.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16035
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Haven't done too much with the ethernet interfaces, but I know in dynagen you can specify a VLAN for the interface. I'll let you know what I find out about that.

Also, I have run up to 4 routers, but my nice new 1.8 Ghz Core Duo 1 gig of RAM laptop has some trouble with that, you can watch lines that should come up as a whole line type it's way across the screen.

This is a great program, (but not perfect :) ) and will be used a lot in my Cisco studies.

BTW Mike, you ever get up in the Milwaukee direction?
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    PCHoldmann wrote:
    BTW Mike, you ever get up in the Milwaukee direction?
    I've been playing with the ATM interfaces on the Linux box.... but I don't expect those to talk to my LS1010. After I take care of the storm damage/heat losses to my servers (i.e. excuse to upgrade icon_lol.gif ) -- I'll put some of my extra ethernet cards into the Linux box and try to have the emulated 7200s talk with my real lab. It's still not a top priority (R&S and Sec Lab study has priority) but the emulated 7200s will be useful for Service Provider Lab study some day.

I'm setup for remote access to my home lab (and remote powerup) -- but I'm still thinking about using Dynamips as an excuse to get a new dual core laptop (with 1 or 2 gig of memory). I'd be happy running 3 instances. :D

I'm in Milwaukee right now -- if you count state of mind (and my empty beer glass). icon_lol.gif With the heat I decided to call it an early study night. It's been quite a few years since I've been up in Milwaukee. But for some reason, everytime I've been up there, I get caught in rush hour. I might be out Madison way sometime in August....
  • Options
    fahmi888fahmi888 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey dude! which material did u use for preparation b4 sit for BCMSN?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats.. it looks as if we all in the same boat icon_lol.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons