Options

My First Certification .. which track .. which cert ?

Gaz1983Gaz1983 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Gents

Am new to the form so please be gentle :D. I have been working as a Desktop Support analist for about a year. I have no prior knowledge of IT or Certifications. I have learnt alot during the last year. I feel i need to progress to the next level and to do so i need to get a few certifications.

Would like to get into security seems intresting and something i will enjoy doing.

I have looked at the CCNA. Intro book but nothing seems to sink in. i have tried very hard without any luck. Would be very helpful if you guys could share tips on how i should study what is the best way. Is it worth me doing in centre trainning only down side i dont have that sort of money at hand.

Or should i take another track like the comptia.

Hope you guys can help.

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I think that starting with the A+, Network+ and Security+ should help you along your way.

After doing these 3 certifications you will probably have a better feel for what you want to concentrate most of your studies to.

That's just my thoughts on it.

I don't think you can really go wrong whcichever way you go.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I concur. You need the basics of networking to get a handle of CCNA. Net+ would be great to get an intro to networking, and figure out if that's the direction to take.

Sec+ is a bit more advanced. Do that last if you do the Comptia series first.

Another avenue might be MSDST cert, which is tests 70-271 and 70-272.
  • Options
    Yeah think that might be the best path > do my network + then security then maybe a CCNA. My biggest set back is studying. nothing seems to sink in. is there a good way to learn, how do you guys study ? how many hours a day etc etc. any tips would be very useful .
    cheers for the replys
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I learn best by hands on. In your case, not having any networking experience at all... if you are like me the best thing might be some networking classes at your local community college, maybe something that goes hand in hand with the Network+.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    very expensive. however i will look into it. thanks
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I usually try to read 2 chapters per day then I take the chapter practice tests.... When I'm done with a book I will take practice tests from techexams.net, mcmcse.com and other legit websites.

It aslo helps that my position at work is an IT job and gives me a lot of hands on experience. I think a lot of times you can learn just as much if not more from hands on experience than you can from reading.

I think if you want to persue Networking then the Network+ would be a good place to start. This will give you the concepts behind networking which will overlap with some stuff from the CCNA.

I think a good place to start would the A+ or I even had seen MCDST mentioned which is not a bad way to either.
  • Options
    I think am going to buy a Network+ book from amazon, give it read see if i am understanding and learning. if not then i might take some classes.

Two chapters a day is very do able. might give that ago.

How good is Exam cram books ?

Thanks again
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
  • Options
    iloco808iloco808 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is a good place to start. but if the material isn't sinking in than Net+ could be the way to go first.

Also, since you do desktop support, the Microsoft XP test 70-270 shouldn't be that bad for you.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Exam Cram alone probably isnt very efficient. For Network+, I recommend the Mike Meyer's Passport to Network+ Cert. I just picked up a copy yesterday and found it an easy read, and lots of good information.

Cheers!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    CCNA is the best to start with , I think , because in CCNA not only you learn about Cisco tehnology , you learn basicaly how netowrk's function , you learn about binary , hexa system's , you learn about protocol's,you learn a part of the basic's.I know what I say.Try A+or Netwrok+ to , then , there are another basic thing's you have to know,do the basic's first, else leave cert's for someone else ;) You understand me icon_evil.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    Jonboy76Jonboy76 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The A+ and Network+ are a good place to start. :)
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Gaz1983 wrote:
    I think am going to buy a Network+ book from amazon, give it read see if i am understanding and learning. if not then i might take some classes.

Thanks again
    I've used Sybex books all the way through... I've done very well on my exams.

I started with Net+ as my first exam... gave me a better understanding of how a network opperates before I went into my MCSE cert track.

Best thing I can suggest for you is to get a network going at home... play with it... you learn by F$%#@ing it up and having to fix it.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    Best training I've found so far: http://www.testout.com/

Pricey, but well worth it.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Gaz1983 wrote:

Thanks again
    I've used Sybex books all the way through... I've done very well on my exams.

I started with Net+ as my first exam... gave me a better understanding of how a network opperates before I went into my MCSE cert track.

Best thing I can suggest for you is to get a network going at home... play with it... you learn by F$%#@ing it up and having to fix it.

Agree!

Sybex is great, excellent test engine and review exams for the domain objectives.
    Jack of all trades, master of none