Options

Passed 70-215 and 70-218

kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
Took advantage of MS 2nd chance offer today. Passed 70-215 with 865 and 70-218 with 902. Took the majority of the time on both tests. Took them back to back, and my brain was fried. Next is the A+ which will round out my MCSA. Once again, an excellent site for preparing!

Comments

• Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Congrats on the double pass! I need to try that some time...
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent! icon_cool.gif
    Any advice or comments on 218 for me?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Grats!
    I am probably going to start studying for this exam next.
  • Options
    rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    So it IS possible!!! Congratulations on your successes!

Although, I'm thinking I'll just take mine one at a time icon_lol.gif

So what did you use to study, and since you mentioned the 2nd chance offer, how did it go the first time, and what did you learn from it.

Question, A+ is two more exams and cost more $$$ than simply going for the single 70-216 which would be required anyway if you continued on for your MCSE?

Congrats,
    Rcoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • Options
    Thanks Everyone!

PC - LOL! Don't go out of your way to try it. It was exhausting. I only did it because i started a new job three weeks ago and ran short of study time. It did help studying for both because there was some overlap.

Sprky and Mega - These are some of the topics i remember: Lots of Shares & NTFS permissions, Fat32 (when it should and shouldn't be used), Benchmark/performance parameters, Quotas, AD primary integrated), DNS (flush, register, dynamic updates, zones), Bind DNS servers, WINS, W95 & W98 (relation to AD) offline cache of files, Cnames, IIS, Printers & print devices and priority, Groups (power users vs print operators vs admins, ect...) SSL and port and certificates, a bunch of RRAS questions (Eap, chap 1 &2, security modes), native mode (NT), OU, GPO, VPN, tracert, ping, pathping, security templates, ARP, DHCP, UNIX and Novell (client services) a little about subnetting, recognize APIPA addresses, MX, LMhosts, hosts, netdiag, driver signing, boot.ini, bootp, signature verification, Recovery console, repair install, scsi, when to use last known good configuration, winnt(32), app priority, task manager, processor affinity, alerter and messenger services, RAID, local and global groups, msi, inheritance, L2TP, multilink, Terminal Services, ICS, well known ports. This is what i can remember at the moment. It really helps if you know the material (recently) from 70-215. Thats about 15 percent of the test right there. The thing that helped me the most were practice tests. I understood the concepts, but most of the questions on the tests are quite long. I also used the MS press and Sybex books, and glanced at Exam Cram 2 and transcenders.

rcoop - Here is my original post :

"Finally bit the bullet and took it today. Didn't know what to expect since this was my first M$ test. I was unsure when i hit end exam but passed with a 933! This sight was very useful, along with examcram2 and transcenders.

Made a 608 on the 70-215, and 532 on the 70-218, but that was without any preperation except a bootcamp long ago.

2nd chance here I come!"

I used the second chance offer on 70-210, 215, and 218 all on the same day. I passed 210 the first time. I only took the other 2 tests because my vouchers expired in April, but if I used them with the 2nd chance offer, it "extended" the voucher for the retake to July 31st. I basically used it to see what M$ tests were like the first time.

I have the Net+. I'm getting the A+ and using the combo for my MCSA. From what I understand, that doesn't count toward an MCSE (I could be wrong, but not sure). I'm getting the A+ for my own benefit since I work on computers quite a bit (i'm a system builder/support right now). I figure it will look good on my resume also. I've seen quite a few jobs that want A+ and or Net+ in addition to an MCSA/MCSE. If nothing else, it may help get my resume past the people in HR!!!

I also bought my A+ vouchers off E-bay and saved almost half off the Comptia price. Just watch for scammers and people with bad reviews.

I'm going to take a break, but the 70-216 might be next.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kevozz wrote:
    Sprky and Mega - These are some of the topics i remember: Lots of Shares & NTFS permissions, Fat32 (when it should and shouldn't be used), Benchmark/performance parameters, Quotas, AD primary integrated), DNS (flush, register, dynamic updates, zones), Bind DNS servers, WINS, W95 & W98 (relation to AD) offline cache of files, Cnames, IIS, Printers & print devices and priority, Groups (power users vs print operators vs admins, ect...) SSL and port and certificates, a bunch of RRAS questions (Eap, chap 1 &2, security modes), native mode (NT), OU, GPO, VPN, tracert, ping, pathping, security templates, ARP, DHCP, UNIX and Novell (client services) a little about subnetting, recognize APIPA addresses, MX, LMhosts, hosts, netdiag, driver signing, boot.ini, bootp, signature verification, Recovery console, repair install, scsi, when to use last known good configuration, winnt(32), app priority, task manager, processor affinity, alerter and messenger services, RAID, local and global groups, msi, inheritance, L2TP, multilink, Terminal Services, ICS, well known ports. This is what i can remember at the moment. It really helps if you know the material (recently) from 70-215. Thats about 15 percent of the test right there. The thing that helped me the most were practice tests. I understood the concepts, but most of the questions on the tests are quite long. I also used the MS press and Sybex books, and glanced at Exam Cram 2 and transcenders.
    Wow! Thanks for the extensive feedback, you have a great memory! A couple of those topics (bind, W95/98, and some of the less covered topics like processor affinity and benchmark/performance parameters) may have caught me off guard. Was this a list of topics from both exams, or just 218? I seem to remember a lot of that from 215.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like a bit of overlap from my last exam.
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks for the extensive feedback, you have a great memory! A couple of those topics (bind, W95/98, and some of the less covered topics like processor affinity and benchmark/performance parameters) may have caught me off guard. Was this a list of topics from both exams, or just 218? I seem to remember a lot of that from 215.

I was referencing the 70-218 exam, though alot appeared on the 70-215. It was a Bind DNS if i remember correctly. W95 & 98, the earlier versions as it would relate to AD authentication. I think i remembered a few questions form 218 that were the same as on 215.