Options

DC Xeon vs DC Pentium

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
What are the major advantages of going with dual core xeons vs dual core pentiums? I know the pentiums are far cheaper and money is an issue... Have a budget of 2500 per server at government pricing. Just wondering about the price/performance ratio I guess.

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I believe one aspect is xeons are multi-processor capable.
  • Options
    Yeah, now that I look at it I don't think the Xeon is the way to go for us.

I think a dual core pentium will be just fin for our servers.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    The first thing that comes to mind is Pentiums suck, with the exception for the P3 when it arrived. What Pentium are you talking about, the PentiumD? The new PentiumD's are actually really expensive. I wouldn't go with anything other than XEON, they are tried and true. They are rated for servers. I surely would never put a pentium in a server I was responsible for, I have a hard enough maintaning a desktop with that crap chip in it. These big computer companies need to budle AMD into desktops more.
  • Options
    Not that I don't agree with you about the AMD thing but we buy from Dell...

Our current servers are running single Pentium 3 1Ghz we have had them since January 2002. So pretty much anything is going to be an improvement.
    Many benchmarks I've seen recently show that the performance from a dual core pentium is very simialr and in some cases better than 2 single core xeons. Although my origianl question was dealing with dual core xeons which after lookign into it a bit seems to be out of our budget right now.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914

Our current servers are running single Pentium 3 1Ghz we have had them since January 2002. So pretty much anything is going to be an improvement.
    Many benchmarks I've seen recently show that the performance from a dual core pentium is very simialr and in some cases better than 2 single core xeons. Although my origianl question was dealing with dual core xeons which after lookign into it a bit seems to be out of our budget right now.

Thats all I run for servers is Dell dual XEON with Mirrored OS and RAID 5 on the data. Power Edges are nice. When it comes to running crucial apps, I stick with what has always worked and stay away from changes.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    garv221 wrote:

Thats all I run for servers is Dell dual XEON with Mirrored OS and RAID 5 on the data. Power Edges are nice. When it comes to running crucial apps, I stick with what has always worked and stay away from changes.
    What he said... :)
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    We're about to try some new dual core x64 kit for our Exchange servers... hopefully it'll help clear up a lot of the page pool problems. We also use OWA and BES and scanmail on those 6 servers for 15,000 users, so we need all the RAM we can get...
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Not supposed to have BES on the exchange box??

I was told against it by RIM... Prefer it elsewhere.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?