Options

CompTIA Wireless+ cert

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
For anyone who is wondering if CompTIA might come out with a Wireless+ certification, take this survey and give CompTIA your $0.02US-worth: http://www.comptia.org/surveys/wireless0706.htm.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've always liked CompTIA, and I think that a vendor-neutral wireless certification would suit a lot of people very well. On it's own, much like some of CompTIA's other certs, it's probably not much of an attention-grabber, but if you have it in addition to something like a Microsoft or a Cisco certification, it's definately more impressive. I hope they go ahead with the Wireless+, I'd be first in line to take it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Done JD, I normally get an email when a new servey pops up, I missed this one.. A very serious survey; interesting that they are also looking at tack on modules to net+ and security+ kind of like Microsofts tack on's .
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    A Wireless+ cert would certainly build on the concepts of the Network+ cert. Maybe CompTIA is thinking of starting a 2nd tier of certifications--or do they already have that?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I can see CompTIA doing what they did with A+ to Network+
    'role specialty' to existing certificates...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    I can see CompTIA doing what they did with A+ to Network+
    'role specialty' to existing certificates...
    CompTIA could require two exams for their Wireless+ cert: an essentials exam and one of three Wireless+ specialty exams (client-side wireless support, infrastructure wireless support, and field/remote wireless support). They might do a specialty exam entirely for wireless security too.

CompTIA does need a marketing angle to differentiate their Wireless+ cert form the CWNA; this would be a good one.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    jdmurray wrote:
    CompTIA could require two exams for their Wireless+ cert: an essentials exam and one of three Wireless+ specialty exams (client-side wireless support, infrastructure wireless support, and field/remote wireless support).

Let's see... 2 exams at $239. per = $478.00 icon_exclaim.gificon_eek.gif
    ouch.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Based on the info in the survey, they are considering adding more wireless networking topics (or even add a specialization, indeed like the new A+) to the net+ and sec+ exams 'or' create a separate cert, Wireless+, which would then very likely be a single exam, like Security+ and Network+. And which you could consider a specialization for your Network+/Security+. As Server+ is to A+ and iNet+/Security+ to Network+.

It probably won't go as far into topics as the CWNA does. It will be more like the Security+ and Network+ level. The exam objective I find most most characteristic for CompTIA is "Identify the purpose of subnetting." You don't need to know how to subnet, you won't need to be able to describe or 'really' understand it, just 'identify its purpose' (from a short list of 'purposes'). Other common ones are: "Identify the basic capabilities of", "Define the function of", "Identify the basic/main characteristics".

Even though CWNA isn't as practical as CCNA, I think Wireless+ will be to CWNA what Network+ is to CCNA. A good primer. As mostly goes for CompTIA certs, by itself they don't lead to a job, but can be a good introduction for further studies on the same subject.

I hope they will do a good job at establishing the domains and objectives as well as the exam questions. I'll probably go for it, and it sounds like a good opportunity to create more study material/site content for the wireless certs. Honestly I'd rather see CWNP change their name and start adding PC technician, basic networking, basic security, to their line of certs. PC# Network# Security# icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Let's see... 2 exams at $239. per = $478.00 icon_exclaim.gificon_eek.gif
    ouch.
    Well, Because two exams are required for one cert, I would hope the voucher price of each exam would be near the $100US-mark.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't think so, CompTIA is raising prices jan 07. Seems that A+ will be 245 times 2 unless minds get changed so why not a Wireless+

The last big exam HTI+ is $218 times 2
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote:
    Don't think so, CompTIA is raising prices jan 07. Seems that A+ will be 245 times 2 unless minds get changed so why not a Wireless+

The last big exam HTI+ is $218 times 2

$490 for an entry-level certification is just a crazy amount of money. Luckily I have mine already.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The price may be high, especially for an entry-level cert, but we also have to remember that it is a lifetime cert.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    The price may be high, especially for an entry-level cert, but we also have to remember that it is a lifetime cert.

lol....interesting way of looking at it.....
    CompTIA may recognize the certificate for one's lifetime...BUT.....the physical paper cert. nor the knowledge learnt lasts a lifetime....

cheers!
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote:
    Because it's a new cert that's competing with an existing family of wireless certs from CWNP. CompTIA should make an introductory price near that of the CWNA to get people to take the Wireless+ cert. Once the industry gets hooked on it, then CompTIA can raise its price (like they are doing with A+).

If CompTIA is just now (Summer 2006) conducting a survey to determine the marketing feasibility of a wireless cert, the beta exam of such a cert probably won't be out until the late 2007, so we have plenty time to guess what they will do.