Options

Unattended installation

karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all guy

At the 70-270 Win XP pro installation. The unattended installation seem too much difficult. icon_sad.gif How can we try to make a practice and did some one had experience? Is this important in the exam? And how can we make it easy to unstand? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Hello, have you tried and read the help file in the deploy.cab file?

The help file there is quite easy and explains all the "deployment" scenarios for WinXP.

Good luck!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There is quite a bit about unattended installations on the test. Of course, I didn't see the words "unattended installation", anywhere. However, it's a very good idea to have some practice with it, and definately understand what everything in the deploy.cab file is, how it works, and why it works. There are specific questions on the end-results of using setup manager, of using sysprep, and the like.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    argosstratargosstrat Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the RIS based installations are likely to be the most important ... the other types of installs you can practice/walkthrough using a virtual pc environment ... testing the RIS stuff maybe a bit more tricky though
  • Options
    karson wongkarson wong Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you guy tell me how to view the test file of the deploy.cab.
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    I only working on 70-270 and not yet to go through 2003 server. So I just have workgroup PC in my home. Can I put the XP installation file in one PC then do the unattanded installation on other PC?
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    .cab files are generally Microsofts form of a zip file. The expand command (look it up in help) will extract or show you what is inside. The shareware WinRAR will also open most MS .cab files.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Using the unattended install is not that difficult. Use setupmgr.exe to create the winnt.sif file. I have three "Lab" PC's and use VMware (server) to create my own network (2003 DC, 2003 member server, 2 XP clients). I have installed both 2003 server and XP more times than I can count. I can't imagine NOT using unattended install. I recall a couple of questions on that too.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When you create the winnt.sif file, what do you do with this file to be able to start the install?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sharptech wrote:
    When you create the winnt.sif file, what do you do with this file to be able to start the install?
    Place winnt.sif file on a floppy disk, insert the Windows installation CD (boot from the CD) and it will automatically search for and use a winnt.sif file on the floppy disk. It must be named winnt.sif.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Woe to the one who doesn't have a floppy on his system. MS dropped the ball on that one.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright ill give it another shot- I remember last time I tried I got an error.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    does anyone know where to place the winnt.sif file on the cd instead of on a floppy disk? because if you can place it on the cd then i see little point using it with a floppy and besides most of the dells at work dnt come with floppies now so it would be a big help if someone knew? would you simply place the 3 files from the setup manager it creates into the i386 folder or onto the root of the cd?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking