Options

Active Directory , Domain Controller ?

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
Hello to all ,

Maybe my post we'll seem stupid for most of you with experience , but I have to ask , maybe I get the real thing , the real definition , from experienced guys.

What is it Active Directory itself , I cannot understand to good ? What is Domain Controller and how s related Domain Controller to Active Directory ?
What about replciaiton in domain directory ? DC replication's ?

Maybe my question will be stupid , but I want to understand , from experience people what this really mean and what are they really doing ? AD & DC ! icon_rolleyes.gif
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, there's nothing wrong with your questions, but what I don't understand is how you can prepare for and pass the 70-270 and 70-290 exam without knowing what the Active Directory is and what Domain Controllers are...

Anyway, better later than never ;) Here's a basic overview a former moderator wrote:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/adsintro.shtml
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    My thoughts exactly. Strange!!!
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I know what those are , understand , but I had a doubt , that's all , I don't like to have doubt's !
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    AD is a distributed redundant database containing LDAP structured information about security objects representing security principles and resources. Domain controllers are the database servers. Replication between servers makes sure the replicas of the database are consistent amongst the different controllers.

Anything specific you're confused about?
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm preparing for my Network+, from I've been reading so far.

Active Directory is a network service that can control nodes. Either resources, file, or user.
    Domain controller is a server-client network service that can control workstations and user accounts.

in terms of how they relate, Since they both provide a service to the network, I think that using them in conjunction together will provide better management of a network. ie. resource restriction, network access etc..

Cheers!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See seems odd that someone can pass those two exams and still have a doubt as to what a DC or AD is.
  • Options
    Thank you all , I know what AD and DC are, but I see , that you people , in place of explaining me , you're judging me about not knowiing !

Cheers!
  • Options
    linksysinfolinksysinfo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    !30 wrote:
    What is Domain Controller and how s related Domain Controller to Active Directory ?

The relation is simple.

A domain controller is a server containing a copy of the Active Directory.

more info here: http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=26866&seqNum=4&rl=1

i hope this is satifactory to your requirements. maybe the rest of the posts were too hasty in replying and not reading the exact questions you were putting forward.
    Regards Simon
    http://www.linksysinfo.org
    CompTIA A+, Network+
    (Studying for Security+)
  • Options
    Thank's man !

Active Directory ( AD ) : contain's the database with object's & access to resurse , and otherthing's to !

Domain Controller ( DC ) : : it's a server , 2000/2003 MS server , which manage's the acces to resources in it's AD .

Corect ?
  • Options
    linksysinfolinksysinfo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    !30 wrote:
    Thank's man !

Active Directory ( AD ) : contain's the database with object's & access to resurse , and otherthing's to !

Domain Controller ( DC ) : : it's a server , 2000/2003 MS server , which manage's the acces to resources in it's AD .

Corect ?

well the term is "Correct" :)

the DC is started in any Win 2k server by the "run" command and typing dcpromo (afaik)
    Regards Simon
    http://www.linksysinfo.org
    CompTIA A+, Network+
    (Studying for Security+)
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Theres a lot more to it than just that and is not simple topic that can be explained in a forum. I'd suggest reading up a bit more from MS website or get a book, or better yet go over your study material for the exams you passed - it should all be in there.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strauchr wrote:
    Theres a lot more to it than just that and is not simple topic that can be explained in a forum. I'd suggest reading up a bit more from MS website or get a book, or better yet go over your study material for the exams you passed - it should all be in there.
    Yep.
  • Options
    I manage to understand the real thing now ! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes I agree- to pass 70-270 and 70-290 you would have already known this and worked with it from practice! Just do not go pass exams for the sake of passing- learn what you study because you will need to know it when out in the real world!

Even if it takes longer to study and pass- it will be well worth it- Good luck.