Options

Flash will not d/l

jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
I have a Windows XP SP2 computer that will not download Flash Player. Can anyone help me with this problem please?
GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE

Comments

• Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    jescab wrote:
    I have a Windows XP SP2 computer that will not download Flash Player. Can anyone help me with this problem please?

Trouble downloading or installing?
    If you are having trouble downloading it just might be a bad link...
    Im having trouble understanding why a person en-route to being a Microsoft Administrator is having trouble DOWNLOADING....

It may be something else but it sounds like an operator problem.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    assuming that you are doing in in IE then the sp2 firewall code in IE is stopping it. When you start the download look for a thin yellow bar to pop up near the top of the IE window. Click on that yellow bar and select the option to allow it to download the file. Since you gave no clues as to what you have tried I have written the obvious. Flash is normally a plugin so you are not downloading a normal file type. The macromedia/Adobe site normally plays a little flash animation if you are successful.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    ok smartie. Just because someone is on its way to MCSA or something else doesn't mean they may not get stumped. I see you are on your way and could not help. he he he

Ok. It is actually a problem downloading. I click the link on adobe site and then I click install in the next box and then nothing happens. I have already clicked the bar at the top to allow it.

This is a know problem with SP2 I see but I can't get around it.

It is IE 6.0, SP2 with firewall turned off, the bar at top was clicked to accept.
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jescab wrote:

Have you tried rebooting? Hehe job, sounds like a driver issue maybe ?!
  • Options
    yeppers, I rebooted.......only about 20 times.......lol
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    So you have turned it off and back on again?

Well us IT guys are stumped then! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bugs me when users think thats all we do. icon_twisted.gif

Is it home or work computer?
    Is it part of a domain or standalone?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    good questions - sorry i left that info out.

it is a home computer ( my daughters )
    stand alone

it used to work fine then one day it stopped working......i think it stopped working when she upgraded to SP2.....I saw where it was a problem with SP2......un-installing SP2 is not an option..........I will use the uninstaller on the adobe site to uninstall it then re-try.......
  • Options

Didnt read more than the title so dont know how useful but best i could do with users calling me!!
  • Options
    Thanks - I will give that a shot.
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    jescab wrote:
    ok smartie. Just because someone is on its way to MCSA or something else doesn't mean they may not get stumped. I see you are on your way and could not help. he he he

Ya, its kind of hard to troubleshoot when someone just says "I cant download".

Tried re-installing java or adobe acrobat?

What is the link that you are trying to download from?
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I have at times had problems downloading/installing flash or shockwave plugins. The site doesn't seem to provide a way to download the installer anymore, it has to use ActiveX to install it.
  • Options
    Yes - You have to use teh Active X install. For some reason it will not work on this computer.
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Has a virus check been performed?
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jescab wrote:
    Yes - You have to use teh Active X install. For some reason it will not work on this computer.

Maybe it is turned off. IE->Tools->Internet options->Advanced scroll down to security and see if "allow active content in files to run on My Computer" anyway I think that is the option. I belive there is one for CD also that stops some autorun options from working.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would go to internet tools and reset to defaults first - same with security settings as that works 90% of the time for me.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    virus scan came back clean......
    i re-set the options in IE.......
    i enabled the java and ActiveX options within IE........

Anything else you guys can think of?

When my daughter and son go to www.espn.com the video on the right doesn't play. Instead of playing the video there is a message that says you need to install Macromedia Flash Player 8. It is a link so I click it and try to download it. I click Download Now but the installer box does not come up for me to install it. No bar at the top. There is nothing in the Untrusted Publisher under content in IE. I have all the updates and patches downloaded and installed. I have tried to install both flash 8 and flash 9. I used the uninstaller on the adobe site to uninstall one before I installed the other version. I searched and removed everything that deals with Macromedia and flash. None of this stuff worked. Yes I rebooted after I did everything.

Is there anything you guys can think of that may help me out?
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    One more thing I can think of is use Firefox. icon_lol.gif

That would let you know if it is an IE related problem or not. It's worth a shot anyway.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    I will certainly give that a shot........
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
  • Options
    Just made me laugh that we still have this going when complex server / router / configuration questions are answered in a couple of posts. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

No offence to anyone in here obviously it just goes to show what 'should' work in IT doesn't always.

Its all the IF's and BUT's that make it so interesting! :D
  • Options
    I downloaded FireFox and it worked perfectly. So then I enabled all my setting with IE ( Security & Privacy ) and that did not help.

Stumped.

Thanks JD I will take a look at them.
  • Options
    i followed the suggestions in JD's link and that did not work..........i will un-install and re-install IE to see if that works
  • Options
    Perhaps physically deleting the Flash installation files, running a registry cleaner, and then trying to auto-install Flash into IE again would do the trick. The Flash and Shockwave files seem to be located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed by default. Check if there's a Macromedia technote on how to do this safely.
  • Options
    Will do - thanks JD
  • Options
    I completely removed Adobe and Macromedia from the system. I used their uninstaller and even went through the registry and deleted anything that dealt with those two and reinstalled flash and it still did not work.
  • Options
    I wonder is this is a problem specifically with Flash 9.0.16.0. Did you ever have Flash successfully installed in IE on this computer? I've never seen any installation problems like this in XP with Flash 7 and 8. It would be worth finding the manual installation for Flash 8 for IE6 and give that a try.

Also, have you tried this technote: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19091

Or just download and install IE7 Beta 3 and try installing Flash 9 in it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
  • Options
    Yes, I had flash successfully installed and everything was working fine. Then all of a sudden flash stopped working. I tried a stand alone version of flash8 and flash9 and manually installed them.
  • Options
    I wish Adobe would provide a standalone installer for their latest version. I went through great pains to get it to install too. I forget how I finally got it to install though.

Try safe mode with networking.
  • Options
    Ok, I will try safe mode. If you remember how you got it to install please let me know.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Make sure it is safe mode with networking since you can't download the file and you can't access the internet in regular safe mode.