Options

Do previous electives count for MCSE?

Hello Amigos,

Maybe this a really stupid question, but, I want to be sure:

I am an MCSA: Msg + Sec. I took for the Sec cert exams 350 and 299. I was checking MS site and it says that for an MCSE certification, you must pass exams: 290, 291, 293, 294, 270 (or other), Design (297 or 29icon_cool.gif and one elective.

From the electives, both 350 and 299 are listed... does this mean that I have to choose another one or I already have the credits?

Another thing... I will probably do 297... but I want to do 298... is there a problem with this?? Can I do an extra exam? I think 297 and 298 are both interesting and, since I plan to study them... I'll take the exam!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Yes, if you've already done an exam that is an elective for the MCSE, it should count towards it.

And of course there is no problem in doing both the 297 + 298 - you just won't get any extra cert, but the 298 will count towards MCSE:Security.
    witty comment
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Do 298, it's an easier exam (relatively, of course) and like _omni_ said, it'll count towards the MCSE:Security.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You didn't specify if you were MCSA sec for 2000 or 2003.
    If 2003, all you need to do is pass 293, 294, 298 and you have MCSE sec for 2003.

If you have MCSA sec 2000, then take 292, then 293, 294, 298.

Reading some of your old posts, you are MCSA on 2003 so you only require the 3 tests. To bring messaging to MCSE level, you have to take the extra Exchange exam 285.
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Ja! I just realized that 298 is for the Sec cert!

Problem solved... I'll do 297 for MCSE and 298 for Sec... Later I'll do 285 (Msg)...

Thanks for making this clear guys!

Saludos!!
  • Options
    I think you misunderstand. For MSCE you can use 297 OR 298 for the design requirement. However, if you want to get the sec specialization, you have to have the 298.

So unless you like taking extra tests, do 298 and one elective that qualifies as a security elective as well, such as Sec+, 299, 350, etc. Just one of these electives qualify for plain old MCSE, but you need 2 for security on top of the 298.
  • Options
    Hello Danman,

I got it right... I already have 299 and 350... but I was thinking in taking 297 and 298. I know the requirements are one OR the other... but I think study those exams will add a lot to my knowledge. :D
  • Options
    Take the 298, then continue on the remaining MCSE core exams, since you are already have the needed security electives. Then if you still feel ambitious, take the 297. Or, just study 297 for your own curiosity, but don't take the exam.
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Dude, let him make his own mind up. icon_confused.gif
    witty comment
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danman32 wrote:
    Take the 298, then continue on the remaining MCSE core exams, since you are already have the needed security electives. Then if you still feel ambitious, take the 297. Or, just study 297 for your own curiosity, but don't take the exam.

Do what you feel is right for you mate, but by all means take our opinions into account.
  • Options
    LukeQuake wrote:
    Danman32 wrote:

Do what you feel is right for you mate, but by all means take our opinions into account.
    icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    LOL! thanks a lot guys for your support and ideas...

Danman you are right, I could spare the exam, but since I will study it, 80 U$S won't kill me :) Besides, I love the thrill of the exam icon_cool.gif

You know I was looking at some job ads, and many said that "exam 297 will be valued"...

Its the quest for knowledge... thats what matters.

Got to post on some book recomendations...

For now, I have to sit for 294 this friday... so... may the force be with me :)