Options

VPC

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello.

i am trying to setup a few vpc's to basically get some hands on experiance and to try and advance more. at the mo i have a few xp clients and server 2k3. althought i can get the xp clients to activate, i cant get server 2k3 to as it says the IE enhanched security config is enabled. i have also tried to add the activation site address to the trusted sites etc and it will not work.

is there anyway to turn this off and activate the product then re-enable the feature? or am i just missing something blatently obvious! lol :p
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    It's just a warning, I usually OK past it. You can uninstall this IIS component.
  • Options
    skubasteveskubasteve Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can uninstall IE enhanced security from Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Windows Components, and then reinstall it after you activate.
    "The search for static security - in the law and elsewhere - is misguided. The fact is security can only be achieved through constant change, adapting old ideas that have outlived their usefulness to current facts.”

-William Osler
  • Options
    well guys i uninstalled it through the windows components and i still cannot get access to the net. i have the vpc n/c settings to NAT on the server 2003. i also have several xp clients using vpc and they have all been activated and can access the internet fine!

any ideas as my expiration date is running out?

cheers

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Are you running any firewalls? Checked proxy settings?

In order to access the activation site i believe you need cookies enabled. Check these arent disabled.

What URL are you accessing?

What error etc are you getting when you connect?
    Checked network connection settings both on host and guest OS?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    well i have a hardware firewall built into my router and a software firewall on my laptop OS but not on any of the vpc's. i have several vpc's using 2003 with xp clients. all the xp clients can access the internet and activate across the net OK and have been activated. but ONLY on the server 2k3 vpc, this cannot access the internet or the windows activation site. i am simply trying to activate the product using "activate windows" which pops up until u activate it.

• Options
    i have turned off everything suggested, ie.e firewalls, anti-virus etc. uninstalled IE enhanced security config aswell. still cant access the net or activate my server 2003.

has anyone gt any ideas?

how does everyone else activate server 2003?

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    you can 'turn off' the enhanced secruity by switching the security content zone to Internet instead of the default trusted sites under Internet Options => Security.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    well i have a hardware firewall built into my router and a software firewall on my laptop

Can you ping your router from your 2k3 box? Have you got a static address assigned or DHCP?
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    hey there,

i am using vpc's NAT so it gives me an internal address.
    but when i change the network settings to either my wireless card or my net card neither option works for the internet on the vpc's.

also what do you mean by switching from trusted sites to the internet zone? i thought they were all on, you simply change how high you want the levels?

• Options
    btw. i have 2 2k3 vpc's one has dns dhcp etc up and running but i have stopped these services to try and resolve the problem. i also have another vpc which has server 2k3 as a plain install - no network services and it does not work either.

• Options
    quote]i am using vpc's NAT so it gives me an internal address[/quote]

Is this address within the same scope as the addresses you are getting for your XP clients that can access the net? Have you tried a static address, within this scope, on your 2k3 box and then ping your router? How is DNS configured?
  • Options
    well ive checked and yesterday they were identical, bar IP's, now today the server is in a different subnet. but with the same IP as yesterday.

i have also changed the network settings from NAT to my laptop net card so it has the same settings as my host machine and that still does not work.

• Options
    Just to make things clear....
    althought i can get the xp clients to activate, i cant get server 2k3 to as it says the IE enhanched security config is enabled.

Have you uninstalled this feature? Can you access any web pages from your 2k3 box? If not then have you checked the network config for this particular VM, is the v network associated to your host PC's adaptor? Try pinging another virtual machine.
    i am using vpc's NAT so it gives me an internal address.

Does your router dish out an addresse to your host PC for net access. If so, why not disable NAT in Vpc and configue the 2k3 VM with a static within the range of your routers scope or even better if your router is running DHCP then let the 2k3 VM get an address from there.
  • Options
    hey,

i have uninstalled the enhanced security....still didnt work.
    i have also tried giving it a static IP.
    i have tried configuring the vpc network connection using the 4 methods i have...

1. my broadcom netcard
    2. my intel wirless card
    3. locally
    4. NAT

i use the fourth option on my xp vpc's and it works fine.

i have tried using my wireless card and net card directly (so it uses the hosts laptop settings)

nothing works.

i have tried it on my 2 server 2k3's - one with dns, dhcp etc configured and i tried it on an out of the box install on the 2nd vpc (just incase i had set any settings incorrectly while i was messing about on the first one).

could it be a driver issue or anything?
    i checked the driver and it just says generic intel blah blah but my xp one says the same and has no probs.
    i have tried pinging my router, my host pc, other vpc's etc and no repsonse.

how has anyone else activated server 2k3 using vpc?

• Options
    how has anyone else activated server 2k3 using vpc

You could do it over the phone.
  • Options
    any other suggestions lol?

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,

check your 2k3 vpc setting - maybe you accidently unplug your NIC.
    try to change your MAC addr in the .vmc file by notepad or try read the manual. restart the machine.
    if you work behind NAT/ICS do try these :
    ipconfig /release - renew,
    ipconfig /flushdns,
    see your ip, ping your gateway.

cheers.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    any one have anymore ideas?

• Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    There has to be something else... I just did it using my wired NIC and it worked first time no problemo...
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    mikey.....

what settings did you have for your server vpc and your client vpc's? regarding network settings?