Wireless Network - Security

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
Following on from:-

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16499

I have setup the devices as follows:-

WAN
Dimond Speedtouch 510 Router connected to WAP - Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router
Other two wired PCs are plugged into Dimond Speedtouch.

I have assisted the WAP a static IP, changed the subnet and have turned off the DHCP features.

Now the only thing I’m concerned about is the security, I have done the following:-

Changed default admin password
A-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] - Passphrase assigned
Internet IP is static and DNS servers are setup as the speedtouch
Ping responses are disabled
Enabled Wireless Router Radio
Disabled SSID Broadcast
When the new laptop arrives I will setup an "Access Control List" to allow only traffic from the MAC address of the wireless device within the machine.

Can you think of anything that I haven't covered? Apologies for asking such questions but this is the first time I've ever setup a wireless network!

Also any tips on how to configure the XP laptop machine?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Comments

• linksysinfolinksysinfo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Change SSID (even though it is disabled to something obscure) and dont leave it as default. Also make sure you have a WPA/WPA2 passkey of more than 20 characters in length. it has been proven, that WPA <20 characers could be hacked.
    Regards Simon
    http://www.linksysinfo.org
    CompTIA A+, Network+
    (Studying for Security+)
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Change SSID (even though it is disabled to something obscure) and dont leave it as default. Also make sure you have a WPA/WPA2 passkey of more than 20 characters in length. it has been proven, that WPA <20 characers could be hacked.

Ok no problem, now is the passkey meant to be completely random (ie numbers + letters + caps etc?)

Also, there appears to be no option to change the SSID all I have is this:-

Fragmentation Threshold (256 - 2346):
    CTS/RTS Threshold (256 - 2346):
    Preamble Mode
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    There's always a way to change the SSID. I am looking up the netgear user's manual now....
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    In the wireless settings screen, its the first field:

Name (SSID): Enter a value of up to 32 alphanumeric characters. The same Name (SSID)
    must be assigned to all wireless devices in your network. The default SSID is NETGEAR, but
    NETGEAR strongly recommends that you change your network's Name (SSID) to a different
    value. This value is also case-sensitive. For example, NETGEAR is not the same as
    NETGEAr.
    Danman32 wrote:
    In the wireless settings screen, its the first field:

Name (SSID): Enter a value of up to 32 alphanumeric characters. The same Name (SSID)
    must be assigned to all wireless devices in your network. The default SSID is NETGEAR, but
    NETGEAR strongly recommends that you change your network's Name (SSID) to a different
    value. This value is also case-sensitive. For example, NETGEAR is not the same as
    NETGEAr.

Arrrr, seen it now, thanks for that the SSID has now been changed ;)
    All setup and appears to be working like a charm! :D