Options

Anyone else?

CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
Does anyone else that is struggling with studying and understanding go to placed like dice and look at how much they could possibly make?

Dont get me wrong either. I am not in this industry for the cash.. Its just a good way for me to get myself back in the game.
Just thinking about making enough to buy a house now-a-days.
Anyone that can afford a house (and can make all the payments) is my hero.

Anyone else have any tips for staying focused?

~Cess
A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Looking where i am and where i want to be usually motivates me.

Wanting to better myself and prove not to others but myself that i can accomplise what i set out to do. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Anyone who can afford the price of a decent house down in San Diego (~$500,000US) is doing well. You ought to come up here to The OC and try to buy a decent house for only a half-mil that isn't way out in the desert. It just can't be done. I think only Hawaii, parts of New York, and the Bay Area are worse.

Are you stuck looking for job down there in SD, or can you relocate to some place where the standard of living is lower?
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    Anyone who can afford the price of a decent house down in San Diego (~$500,000US) is doing well. You ought to come up here to The OC and try to buy a decent house for only a half-mil that isn't way out in the desert. It just can't be done. I think only Hawaii, parts of New York, and the Bay Area are worse.

Are you stuck looking for job down there in SD, or can you relocate to some place where the standard of living is lower?

Welp, houses are going up to the 650 range quicker than anything.
    I have a great job making good money for as much as some Sr Admins make other places. My company is awesome and my boss is cool. I just wish they would help me learn more about servers and administration. Thats where my studying for MCSA/MCSE come in.

I do wish to make atleast the same in another state where the cost of living is cheaper. I would like to live in a 4 bd house with and acre of land or 2 that has a mall in the area.

GG
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    go to salary.com and look in that area for positions close to what your looking for.. this should get you an idea.. or computerjobs.com
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Come to Cincinnati, OH.
    I have a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, finished basement, kitchen, dining room, living room, deck, and yard space, for under 100K and no its not a piece of crap. This house I was told would go for at least 750K and up in Cali.
  • Options
    Come to Cincinnati, OH.
    I have a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, finished basement, kitchen, dining room, living room, deck, and yard space, for under 100K and no its not a piece of crap. This house I was told would go for at least 750K and up in Cali.

Where do I sign up!? =P
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Seems it's all about the midwest and the south if you're interested in land and/or buying a house. I'm originally from Indiana and there isn't any worse standard of living than anywhere else I've lived or seen. My family's home was a really nice two story, three bedroom and was built for around 165K with an acre of land. I've seen condos in California that are complete pieces of crap going for at least 450k.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    reloaded wrote:
    Seems it's all about the midwest and the south if you're interested in land and/or buying a house. I'm originally from Indiana and there isn't any worse standard of living than anywhere else I've lived or seen. My family's home was a really nice two story, three bedroom and was built for around 165K with an acre of land. I've seen condos in California that are complete pieces of crap going for at least 450k.

Agreed. Only problem is that I need a job where ever I plan on buying a place... Which brings me back to square 1.

Gotta learn and get my MCSE.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Cessation wrote:
    Does anyone else that is struggling with studying and understanding go to placed like dice and look at how much they could possibly make?

Dont get me wrong either. I am not in this industry for the cash.. Its just a good way for me to get myself back in the game.
    Just thinking about making enough to buy a house now-a-days.
    Anyone that can afford a house (and can make all the payments) is my hero.

Anyone else have any tips for staying focused?

~Cess

I do the same thing, from time to time. I check some of the "untouchable" job descriptions on dice and I think to myself, "yup, that's a six-figure reason to stay in school and keep at those certs." And I know, it always comes back to "but the Bay Area is so expensive, you can't afford to live there anyway." Then I consider. . . if I come out of the next few years alive, with a degree in one hand and a slew of IT certs in the other, I'm not going to complain about having a salary like described in some of those ads. It may not be enough to buy a house now, but I can always save up. I'm sure that, if the starting salary at a place that offers you in the six-figure range, you're not going to be complaining when that pay goes up, in years to come.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't see how anyone can afford to buy a home out west.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Even here, I originally purchased a 1300sq/ft 3,2,2 home on 1/3 acre lot for just under $60 13 years ago, and it is almost double that now. Of course I am about 50 miles from Tampa, so there's some traveling to do to get to the jobs that make any money.