Options

CCNA Self-study plan

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
Need some feeback on this idea since I am a newbie to Cisco .....

Am trying to come up w/a self-study plan for getting the CCNA. I'm not really against going to the local community college for classes, but, let's just say I'm trying to keep things as inexpensive as possible, and, I would like to learn at my own pace.

Did read the CCNA FAQ Sticky and viewed various other posts. Am leaning towards either the McQuerry or Odom books. I'm not sure which one is better. Seems like the McQuerry book is better suited for newbies though Odom will give you a better idea of what the exam is really all about. Also, I am interested in getting the Boson simulator. I know it's not the real deal, but it's certainly better than nothing at all. I may get a real Cisco router later (provided I have the finances of course).

May even "get a small taste of things to come" by getting the CCNA for Dummies book before I jump into the McQuerry and/or Odom books. Even ExamCram2 might help in test preparation. Believe it or not, Dummies and and ExamCram2 helped my get my Network+ cert.

Am open to any and all ideas. One major plus about going with classes at the local community college is sometimes getting my hands on Cisco equipment. If I go the community college route, I'll need to decide soon since registration and the beginning of the Fall semester are not too far away. icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    RD28327 wrote:
    Did read the CCNA FAQ Sticky and viewed various other posts. Am leaning towards either the McQuerry or Odom books. I'm not sure which one is better. Seems like the McQuerry book is better suited for newbies though Odom will give you a better idea of what the exam is really all about. Also, I am interested in getting the Boson simulator. I know it's not the real deal, but it's certainly better than nothing at all. I may get a real Cisco router later (provided I have the finances of course).

I'm really thinking about CCNA too, but I dont think I will get it until I know that I have enough hands-on experience...cause I dont plan on ending with just CCNA.

From what I am reading, and hearing, you really cant do much with simulator, or just ONE router....for frame relay, you need at least 3....if you're like me and planning a long-term career with cisco equipment, try and get at least 2 eventually (for CCNA), I know it's a alot of money...since I'm still a student...but I have confidence that it'll be worth the money...

I guess it's just making sure to get a working one and not get scammed....

cheers!
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The local community college (Sandhills C.C.) does offer one thing which is well worth the $$$, and that's hands on work with the equipment. Part of the course content is delivered via the internet and students also meet one day per week for three hours for lab and/or lecture. There is another community college in NC (Fayetteville Tech C.C.) that offers all the CCNA classes online. I wonder what is the success rate for those passing the CCNA after going through the online program at FTCC? At least the convenience of working on the class anytime and anywhere can be a convenience.

I'm sure there have been folks who have prepared for the CCNA via some kind of self-study route and even just working only on simulators, but I bet those #s are real low.

Another big factor in my decision is my work schedule. I do freelance computer service work and work has been picking up lately.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I guess it really depends on your style of learning/training then. How much are these courses? My school offers CCNA training courses as well...but they're around $950 CND for 2 months (2 classes a week)....I would rather spend that money on a couple of routers and a switch to practice on my own with a home lab....

BUT....I am the type of student that learn better by myself and on my own.....I am not a big fan of lecture-type training/learning....
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    The_GeekThe_Geek Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where I work I stay logged into Cisco 1700's, 2400's, 2600, and 7200's all day, setting IP routes, configuring serial and ATM interfaces, viop stuff, etc. I also have a small lab setup at my desk (as seen in my icon) to play with also.
    "Experience is the ability to guess accurately"
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What type of setup do you have. The routers on your picture look kind of small. Is this setup effective.