Options

How long?

cybersleepercybersleeper Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
How long should I stay at my current job before looking for something more?

I work nights at a hospital doing operations and helpdesk work. I am the go to guy for IT at night. I dont mind doing application support and crisis management but, I like the networking part a lot more. I know I need to get my Net+ and probbaly CCNA. I am just wondering how long looks good to perspective employers. The best possible scenario is to move up within the company. But, they have a very low turn over rate in the networking dept at the hospital. So looking else where is a very likely possibility

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Min 1 year but you really should shoot for 2...
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Min 1 year but you really should shoot for 2...

Ya, gotta agree with that. By the time I eventually get my MCSA/MCSE I will have been with my Company for 1-2 years. I hope I can get it sooner.
    But my company is really great. I would rather just work on servers rather than helpdesk with all the old ladies that forget their passwords and need a printer installed =/ but like I said... Its still a good job :)
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think most employers understand that people don't want to work the 3rd shift and want to get out of that situation as soon as they can. I would say work a few months, then passively look for something better. Since you already have a job and your daytime is free, you can afford to be selective. Definately work on those certs though!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...