Options

URGENT Career Advice

Guys,

I need an urgent one here's the scoop: I received an Employment Offer with manufacturing company here in Charleston, SC as " Manufacturing Associates" starting salary $15.11/hr it is bigger than the current one im earning but also not IT related job. The thing is Im thinking If im gonna grab it I would not gain a lot of experience in IT unless they transfer me to IT dept. Since I just passed my A+ and Network + recently would you think it is good decision I grab this oppurtunity and take chance if I can transfer to IT dept. or just apply for a different one which is more into IT but a lower rate?

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    couple of things to consider:

what's your academic/working background?
    does it relate to manufacturing?

do you need the extra pay?

do you enjoy working in manufacturing?

you can't simply take a job solely because you think it will lead to something you like...what if you end up in this position for awhile? You could have used the time to pursue something you enjoy....It really depends on alot of things whether you will get the transfer....maybe you could try and work out some sort of a deal with the manager....or at least get some hints from them whether their IT dept. is hiring....

I wouldnt recommend just taking the job and hoping you'll get to transfer....[/b]
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you currently employed in IT? If so don't leave your current position for this one. No way. If you're not in IT and need the money, go for it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it were me, I probably would not take the job. Unless the job you are going into is something you like. If not, I would try to look for better oppurtunities.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Only you, or possibly someone who knows you well, could answer that question.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    If you are working in IT right now, don't do it. If you are not working in IT right now, I would do it. -- I know the more money the better but $15.00/hr job to leave an IT job is not even close to enough, they would need to offer me close to double. The experience you will loose for a few small bills will cost throusands on the next job. Also, keep in mind 'Quality of Life', working in a factory is not my idea of a good job.
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for the quick advice..

Right now im working as an Admin Assistant office type of job paperworks but with very minimal IT not even part of my job description. Im also planning to look for another job than my current one but this one suddenly came up thats why I started to think about it.

I would also ask the company if theres a room for improvement for me if I work there like transferring to IT department. I would just have to make a list of Pros's and Cons with this oppurtunity.
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you don't mind my asking, what company is that.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Hi Badger95

Its Robert Bosch what do you think? Your also from Charleston,SC :D
  • Options
    TeslTesl Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always made the decision that I'm going to work for my own personal development, rather than work simply for a paycheck. I have no plans to work all my life, I want to quickly experience parts of the world I feel I need to experience before starting my own companies. Computing has always very much been my passion, not only networking, but the *nix world, and computer game programming.

Despite that, its likely I will be trying to get a position in management relatively quickly purely to experience it. I'd like to spend some time in sales and marketting, then start the road for riches (I'll be suprised if I don't bankrupt myself at least a couple of times in life)

Anyway, what I'm saying (through my own little story) as that it depends on what you see a job as. I see it as an opportunity, not merely a chance to earn a little more. I suggest you choose the job which you feel will enhance your personal development as much as possible - in this case sticking with the IT work.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Just an thought. I work for a manufacturer and there are three full time techs who support roughly 500 pcs/laptops/servers plus the networking, spread out over the corporate office, the local plant complex and 8 seperate remote locations as well as territory managers (salesmen) in the field. We are considered fully staffed and the odds of someone transfering in (even with certs and good knowledge) are nil.

I would make sure I talk to them about that. Other than that if your not doing IT right now and you can make more money and get a different work experience, I'd say go for it.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    drainey,

Got your point there.. Im not into full time IT right more on a paper work typical admin assistant doing some ( invoice, data encoder ) which no gain at all for IT as my background. I grab the oppurtunity based on the following reason on my mind.

1. Since im not doing IT right now then I got nothing to loose if I leave my current job but only to gain better pay which is on my advantage

2. Since im moving to a bigger company i take the chances of better oppurtunity there.

3. If and only if i dont like what im gonna do over there then I would have then submit my application to a different company specially on IT related job while working there and waiting for a new oppurtunity to come up at least I got a better pay now than before.
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You know my thoughts from our off line discussion. The reasons you state here are good, I would press on. You have nothing to lose and good oportunities could be available to you.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    Thanks Badger for the info on our offline discussion...everytime there is an opportunity i would always go back to the drawing table like writing what are the advantage and disadvantage and then get some advice after that i formulate the best answer. Always work