Options

Does my 2950 support DHCP

Mr BigMr Big Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have a switch with 2 VLAN's and I want DHCP to run on one VLAN. Is this possible? If not, can I configure DHCP on the router and it work fine on the specific VLAN?? Here is the sh ver on my switch
Switch#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c, RELEASE SOFTWARE
 (fc2)
Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 02-Feb-04 23:29 by yenanh 
Image text-base: 0x80010000, data-base: 0x8058A000

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2950 boot loader

Switch uptime is 1 year, 40 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, 35 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-19.EA1c.bin"

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Does my 2950 support DHCP?
    No, it cannot act as a DHCP server.
    If not, can I configure DHCP on the router and it work fine on the specific VLAN??
    Yes, or you can configure one of the hosts in the VLAN to run a DHCP server.
  • Options
    Mr BigMr Big Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Does my 2950 support DHCP?
    No, it cannot act as a DHCP server.
    If not, can I configure DHCP on the router and it work fine on the specific VLAN??
    Yes, or you can configure one of the hosts in the VLAN to run a DHCP server.

What do yo mean by configuring one of the hosts in the VLAN to run a DHCP server?
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Server, router, etc. Any host (machine) that is attached to the vlan in question that supports providing DHCP.
  • Options
    Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You cannot configure a switch act as a DHCP Server.
    Router can using this command
    router(config)#service dhcp
    router(config)#ip dhcp pool "any word"
    router(config-dhcp)#network 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 <<<< define your address that will be used by your hosts.
    router(config-dhcp)default-router 192.168.1.1 <<< your default gate way

You can also exluded some address so that the router will not assign this address and you can use this as the address of one of your servers or rotuer or switch.

router(config)#ip dhcp-excluded 192.168.10.1 192.168.10.0
  • Options
    I heard 6509 support dhcp.

but if 2950 doesn't, do 3550 support dhcp?
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    madonion wrote:
    I heard 6509 support dhcp.

but if 2950 doesn't, do 3550 support dhcp?
    It is really not very practical to use a router as a DHCP server. Cisco gives you the basics in router IOS, but it is not something you would want to rely on in a production environment. It is much better to dedicate a machine that runs a real DHCP server.
  • Options
    darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just out of curiousity why wouldnt you?
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    darwinism wrote:
    Just out of curiousity why wouldnt you?
    The DHCP services provided by a router are not as complete as those provided by a dedicated DHCP server, may not be as easily accessed, if you mess up a dedicated server your network will probably still work, and routers really have better things to do with their CPU cycles.

I am certainly glad that the people doing the DHCP function in my company don't have access to the routers, and we spend large amounts of time and money identifying and replacing overloaded (or soon to be) routers in a effort to keep the network functioning properly.