Do recruiters know more than what's on a resume?

I've heard about many companies that can provide pre-screeing employee info to employers, such as employment, credit, and education verification. I think there is a difference between what the laws say and what companies actually do in the real world. So my question is how much info can there potentially be about a person that can be used without his/her knowledge.

I have a feeling employers must have access to more info than what's on a resume. I'm starting to hate the argument that "if you have nothing to hide, then don't worry", as it seems to me that I've written a blank check to companies to collect and use info on me.

Do recruiters get info on you without your consent?

Comments

• Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    They can get just about anything about you, or what the databases think they know about you, including your dog's name, what toppings you like on your pizza (OK, that might be some exaggeration), girlfriend's name, etc. Many times these databases make assumtions that is misleading that leads to other misleading assumptions. For example, an old phone number you used to have at your old reference can link you to information about the person who now has that number.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They can google your name, email address, postal address. With just your name and address they can get any public records such as criminal background, previous addresses, info on your house, pretty much anything. Any information you willingly give them can be used to look up more info on you and there's not much you can do about it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    There are laws (in the USA anyway) prohibiting prospective employers from directly asking questions about an applicant's age, race, religion, etc. There are also legal concerns with asking about information proprietary to other businesses, such as an applicant's salary history.

One way around all this is to phrase interview questions in such a way as to clue the applicant to "volunteer" the information without being directly asked for it. Of course, if the information is available on the public Internet, it's fair game to be retrieved and "unoffically" used for applicant screening.

What all of us say in our public forum postings and blogs may very well one day prevent each of us from being hired somewhere. If applying for military or government work, perhaps the content of our so-called "private" email will also come into question. Something to think about.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    jdmurray wrote:
    If applying for military or government work, perhaps the content of our so-called "private" email will also come into question. Something to think about.
    I saw a quote from a government official this week. He said that it wasn't Big Brother spying on us, it was Big Brother looking out for us. I guess the governmet official never read 1984 because that was why he was called Big Brother.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I saw a movie on TV a couple of times, where companies did DNA profiled even if it was illegal. Through DNA they could tell your IQ and potentials, potential medical problems: current and future, etc.

You could refuse a test, but the companies had tricks to get a sample of your DNA. It was possible to imposter someone's superior DNA for a fee. Usually the impostered host would sell his DNA sources (urine, fingernails with blood packets, etc) after suffering a debilitating injury that would prohibit him from working. You had to go through complex daily rituals to pull it off.
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    jdmurray wrote:
    There are laws (in the USA anyway) prohibiting prospective employers from directly asking questions about an applicant's age, race, religion, etc. There are also legal concerns with asking about information proprietary to other businesses, such as an applicant's salary history.

One way around all this is to phrase interview questions in such a way as to clue the applicant to "volunteer" the information without being directly asked for it. Of course, if the information is available on the public Internet, it's fair game to be retrieved and "unoffically" used for applicant screening.

What all of us say in our public forum postings and blogs may very well one day prevent each of us from being hired somewhere. If applying for military or government work, perhaps the content of our so-called "private" email will also come into question. Something to think about.

Agrees 100% with that statment