Options

AD Policies

BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
Hi,

We have a domain with (currently) three DC's

1x Windows 2000
1x Windows 2003 Standard Edition
1x Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition

The domain is in Windows 2000 native mode. My question is we do not have the Windows XP or the extra policies that Enterprise edition adds available.

Is this because of the functions level, or do I need to do something?

If I get rid of the 2000 DC and raise the level to 2003 will that add the missing policies including the Enterprise policies?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not sure... but I think you have to be at a 2003 functional level
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Not 100% either but i think thats it.

If you cannot test let me know example of policies your looking for and i'll test later. :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    It is a funny one, we can only give out 2000 policies, no policies that 2003 or 2003 Enterprise adds such as policies for XP clients and Enterprise adds a policies for auto enrollment of user certificates (which we don't have)

I am unable to get to AD at the moment but I will get some examples later.

Thanks guys, I am going to try and do some tested as well.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Thou i must say i dont know if it needs to be raised at domain or forest level....

Will check later but im sure you'll get there first as im here for 12 hour shift!! icon_mad.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You have to raise the domain function level. There are several things that 2000 cannot support that will not be availble until you are in Server 2003 Mode. Whether or not there are extensions to AD for 2000 to support the things you want I do not know and would be probably worth looking into before decommisioning servers. The question regarding no XP policies I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Even in a 2000 Mixed domain, policies should still be affecting Windows XP clients afaik.
  • Options
    Hi sorry for the delay,

The problem our domain policies does not include policies that are only supported on Windows XP or 2003 such as. (there are many more)
      User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\
    Force classic Start Menu

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Lock the Taskbar

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove My Pictures from Start Menu

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Security Center\Turn on Security Center

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Messenger\Do not allow Windows Messenger to be Run
    The policies listed above are not listed in our domain policy. We can set these policies locally but that is not the point

Do we need to add an XP Template or somthing?

Thanks