Options

Best approach to apply for jobs->

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is everyones method of applying?

When I see a job posted that I like I send my resume and if wanted a cover letter.

I then wait for them to respond for an interview and send a thank you letter after the interview a day later or so...

I wanted to know other peoples approach to try and get more phone calls for interviews etc..

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Put your resume on job sites like dice, monster, careerbuilder, etc and let them come to you.

You can also be selective just like what you're doing.

Give your information to a local staffing agency that works with IT, and let them do some work for you.

Finally, just pick a good company in your area and send them a resume and a letter whether they are advertising an opening or not.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Apply to as many jobs as you can, if you believe you are over qualified for a job to a reasonable degree, apply as you never know you may get it. That doesn't mean you should apply for IT director jobs, but you know what I mean.

Beef up your interview skills, some of us (including me :) think that we know all the answers for an interview, and we don't. Be ready to answer some tough questions.

Most importantly, stay honest. That will take you not only through your search for job, but also through search for meaning and purpose. Well, b4 I get filosofical (misspelled on purpose), good luck.
  • Options
    techEDtechED Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I handle it like a job along with sites such as dice.com, monster.com, andcareerbuilder; I checkout backpage.com (select respective city and job type) and the local sunday papers career section is real good too.
    For some job postings and try to tweak my resume to fit that particular posting.
    Pratice some generic questions,
    -how would your bestfriend describe you
    -TELL ME ABOUT YOUR BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT.
    -DESCRIBE YOUR MOST IMPORTANT STRENGTHS.

Thank you letter very important.
    I call up IT recruiting company local chapters and request an interview like RHI, Teksys, P2P.
    JobFairs are a big help.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

I will post up my resume on a few of those sites!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, forgot about the Sunday paper. Definately look there too! My last job was advertised only there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    apply however that ask icon_wink.gif

mostly 98% i use email or online sites..but mostly i get them calling me more from my resume being posted at jobsites
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    From the Sunday newspaper:
    I am having litttle luck sending my resumes over the Internet. Perhaps my cover letter is lame. Suggestions?

Perhaps it is. Technical recruiter Robert Merrill makes a statement on his blog that hits home with many job seekers. Here's the gist of it:

"Use clear and concise language in the body of your e-mail to me, telling me why I should interrupt my busy recruiting schedule to call you. I get a steady flow of resumes that say nothing but 'attached' in the body. I am not interested in clicking your resume just for kicks - all of us are too busy for that. Some job seekers say, 'I noticed the job you posted and I am a perfect match for it... or any other positions you have.'

"Tell me what work you want to do, and why you want to do it - in 100 words or fewer."

Mr. Merrill adds: "Oh, and lay off the 'picnic' and 'summertime' stationery for the background of your e-mail, please. I thought you wanted a job, but your e-mail is screaming 'vacation!'"

• Options
    Thanks guys,

I will check out the papers as well!
  • Options
    Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All of my jobs have been through networking with people. AITP - Association of information technology professionals. is one I use, along with other means.

http://www.aitp.org/index.jsp

Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thats a good approach, but it depend on the resume and the position your applying for. Dont forget to always network.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I always call the dept. manager and ask carefully selected questions. Verbal contact is far more personal than just sendning a CV/cover letter. IMO that gives you an advantage over someone who just use the standard approach. Furthermore, it's always nice to refer to the "pleasent conversation" when starting the cover letter.

Another good thing about calling first is being able to "pick" the manager for additional information. Information is gold in applying for jobs, and most managers are willingly to chat for 10-20 minuttes. (remember to keep the conversation flowing).

If you are unemployed, show up in person to deliver your application. That gives additional points icon_cool.gif