Options

I got an entry level job!!!

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
I just got a job offer day before, and started working next day. Its a small company 15 miles from my home. The job is awsome, the title is I.T Support. But you do so much more, like helping users through phone/email/remote desktop. You work on wiring/new server projects as needed, you keep track of all I.T inventory, and get your own I.T workspace room, with all servers and equipment plus 3 desktops set up in there, one for me, one is for my partner (me and him incharge whole I.T department! wooT!) and the one in the middle for testing purposes. And not only that but they provide you with a free laptop at work. And its not cheap kind either, its a very good HP top-line one. And as if all that wasnt enough, we also incharge of the buildings I.D card access points and system, and the network cameras system.

I was quite overdone first day was my trainning, but its a great job, while i only start out as 8$/hr, they said they would give me a raise as the CEO (He is incharge of me and the partner directly, thats right the CEO of the actual company!) see's that i am a doing good job.

So what do you all think is this a good entry level job?

Comments

• Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    $8/hr for all of this. I don't know where you're from, but that wage is a joke. You're getting ripped off.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yep that sounds pretty harsh for wht ur doing, over here that is about £4 which is not even minimum wage a dont think!
    but by the sounds of it you enjoy it!
    and besides if its ur first job just use it as a stepping stone and start moving in the correct direction!

gd luck and congrats!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    $8 an hour is low, however the experience you will be getting will get you a far much better job in 1-2 years!

Keep at it and do not worry about the $ right now- focus and learn as much as you can!

Great experience this will be!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I take it you have no kids, no wife, and probably still live at home with parents because 8 dollars an hour is not enough to keep an apt. and I live in Cincinnati, which is one of the better places to live as far as cost of living. I think you are getting ripped off but if you enjoy it and don't mind the low wage, then good luck.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Don't drop the laptop... Its worth more than you make in a month j/k.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well you can srew up a few times because at $8 your not being paid to think. Good luck.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android
  • Options
    frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    no problem for the time being, but make sure that you get a raise after 3-6 months or else these guys are just taking advantage of you.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even for entry level with no experience $8 is a little low, but on the other hand, would you rather make $8/hr doing this, or $8/hr working 3rd shift in a call center?

Prove yourself and earn that raise... and if you don't get significantly better money within a year, start looking for a similar position elsewhere.

If you have no other committments and money isn't an issue, go with the EXPERIENCE any time. If they're screwing you over, you'll leave them when you can get something better.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    sigh...

"do not depise the bottom rungs in the ascent to greatness."
    - Publilius Syrus

Everyone has to start somewhere. Wage shouldn't be your concern. You should be concerned whether or not your job offers you room for growth, and from your description, it sounds like it does.

I laugh at people who get certifications and think it will immediately translate to a six figure income. Stick with it and soak up as much as you can.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think that is great. Congratulations! Hopefully it will turn into something better for you as well as crucial experience to advance.
    sigh...

- Publilius Syrus

Everyone has to start somewhere. Wage shouldn't be your concern. You should be concerned whether or not your job offers you room for growth, and from your description, it sounds like it does.

I laugh at people who get certifications and think it will immediately translate to a six figure income. Stick with it and soak up as much as you can.

Well said. Great post.
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Well another reason why i dont mind starting out as $8/hr is because I'am also working my other job at a pizza place, and i make around 33 hours there a week. So i figure if i make 33 hours there at $7.95 and 20 hours at my new I.T support job @ $8/hr plus go to college, i'll be alright. I am a Part-time I.T Support Position, and part time CSR at pizza place, and part time college. Yea that should be enough to keep a person busy, hehe :)

This is how my schedule is:

Mon. - Thurs: 9am-12:00pm IT Support --> College --> 5pm-9:00pm pizza work --> home.

on Frid's i work 9am-6pm IT Support --> No College --> 6:45-10:00pm pizza work --> home.

Sat & Sund's only work at pizza place
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    win2k4 wrote:
    Well another reason why i dont mind starting out as $8/hr is because I'am also working my other job at a pizza place, and i make around 33 hours there a week. So i figure if i make 33 hours there at $7.95 and 20 hours at my new I.T support job @ $8/hr plus go to college, i'll be alright. I am a Part-time I.T Support Position, and part time CSR at pizza place, and part time college. Yea that should be enough to keep a person busy, hehe :)

This is how my schedule is:

Mon. - Thurs: 9am-12:00pm IT Support --> College --> 5pm-9:00pm pizza work --> home.

on Frid's i work 9am-6pm IT Support --> No College --> 6:45-10:00pm pizza work --> home.

Sat & Sund's only work at pizza place
    My friend... my advice is spend more time on school...

Your schedule will burn you out. Money today is nothing compared to what you will make in the future.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    techEDtechED Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The IT job sounds awesome, but be careful of burn out.
    I did the full time school/full time job gig, burn out city,
    just pace yuseff will be able to survive.

But I'd say keep school priority one.
  • Options
    sigh...

- Publilius Syrus

IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Unless you are really hard up for money, I would lose a night or two of the pizza place, honestly, for the reasons the other folks said.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Sounds like a plan to get going. Though as others have said, the pay is low. I was doing something similar 10 years ago. Come to think of it I was only making about $11/hr though. I don't know how I was able to manage with that.
    I then got an instant 20% raise moving to this company. Learned lots in both jobs, though I already had experience before either job.
  • Options
    Well $8/hr for a part time job in college isn't terrible now that I think about it. Maybe they're treating it like an internship. Either way, this is a great opportunity.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    can i have your job with $7 per hour please?