Options

CCNP Update rumors are true

2»

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cool -- now the Certification Tracking Web Site makes it look like I'm going to get an entire new set of Certificates -- for free! Yeah!
    Danman32 wrote:
    Yes, they did change the recertification requirement. ANY 642 exam will re-certify you.
    A Voice exam re-certifies the CCSP? CCDP? CCIP? CCNP? Wow?!?

Darn -- didn't re-certify those CQSs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cool -- now the Certification Tracking Web Site makes it look like I'm going to get an entire new set of Certificates -- for free! Yeah!
    The same thing happens every time you pass a CCIE written exam, and any CCIE written exam renews any CCIE. It looks like they moved this down to the professional level, too.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BubbaJ wrote:
    The same thing happens every time you pass a CCIE written exam, and any CCIE written exam renews any CCIE. It looks like they moved this down to the professional level, too.
    I only got new CCNP & CCDP Certificates for both CCIE Written exams I passed -- but not a CCSP Certificate, or any Associate levels. I just figured its was a bug in the system -- but not sure what the bug is -- the new Certificates, or no new CCSP Certificate.

On all the Associate re-certs that have happened with Professional/Expert level exams -- I've never gotten a new Certificate (but the option is there to buy new copies).

I still find those 2 year CQSs annoying. And it still looks like it takes a CCIE Written or the specific re-certification exam(s) to re-certify those.

But I'm still going to wait for the dust to settle and keep an eye on the Cert Tracking System to make sure I at least get the new Certifications I should.

If I get a complete new set of the other Certificates, I guess those could be my off-site backup copies.

Hey! The updates to the cert tracks for recertification says any Profession exam after 8/18 recertifies.... but today is only the 15th!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Do they send you new certificates if you RE-certify? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, they do (at least they did 3 years ago). The validity date is on the cert.
  • Options
    JVEJVE Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me be the first idiot to ask since I dont completely understand. I am studying for CCNP right now, BSCI to be exact, which i should be ready for in 2-3 weeks. I can take this test and it count for me, and possibly just have to study the new material for the other tests? Thanks in advance. I am sure that is it, but want to be clear.
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Looks like we have until the end of '06 to take the current CCNP exams. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of late nights ahead for me, as well as others!

Oh well, we all knew it was coming sometime.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    JVE wrote:
    Let me be the first idiot to ask since I dont completely understand. I am studying for CCNP right now, BSCI to be exact, which i should be ready for in 2-3 weeks. I can take this test and it count for me, and possibly just have to study the new material for the other tests? Thanks in advance. I am sure that is it, but want to be clear.

Yup. Just be sure the study material you are using covers the test you are going to take. You have until November to register to take the old tests, and you have until end of December to actually take the old tests.

Even Cisco Press doesn't appear to have books on the new tests.

So I repeat, anyone know where to get the Cisco courseware without having to take a class? If my experience with Novell courseware says anything, the books alone are half the cost of the class anyway, but I could take the other half and buy my own equipment.
  • Options
    JVE wrote:
    Let me be the first idiot to ask since I dont completely understand. I am studying for CCNP right now, BSCI to be exact, which i should be ready for in 2-3 weeks. I can take this test and it count for me, and possibly just have to study the new material for the other tests?
    Yes, indeed. You'll have 3 years to complete your CCNP from your first CCNP exam, whether that is an old or a new exam.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    well they did say have a great day at the end. Wonder if Cisco has new books yet if 80 percent of two exams have changed it makes you feel kind of behind.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Considering it's their most popular professional cert, I expect them to release books for the new exams faster than for example the CCSP or CCVP exams.
  • Options
    I didn't look yet today, but they had none yesterday. Anything with a publish date older than this month would certainly not qualify.
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I just got the email for the changes to the exams from cisco. Not much of a notice period!!

642-901 BSCI
    Building Scalable Cisco Inter-networks

ISR routers, updates to Cisco IOS®
    Software 12.4 routing protocol, routing authentication security, multicast routing, IPv6

642-812 BCMSN
    Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks

642-825 ISCW
    Implementing Secure Converged Wide-Area Networks

Cable and DSL broadband access, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)/MPLS VPN fundamentals Cisco IOS Security featuring S2S VPN (IPsec and generic routing encapsulation/IPsec [GRE/IPSEC]), Cisco Easy VPN, Cisco IOS Firewall, Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), Cisco AutoSecure, Role-Based CLI Access, and Cisco Security Device Manager (SDM)

642-845 ONT
    Optimizing Converged Cisco Networks

Voice over IP (VoIP) fundamentals, techniques to address VoIP challenges, concepts and implementation methods for quality of service (QoS), wireless security standards, and Cisco wireless LAN (WLAN) networks

I thought you would get about six or so months warning. I mean the exams are being retired in about 2 months - hell!
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    I haven't even passed my CCNA (hopefully on Sat) but I was planning on persuing CCNP. I think I will begin studying for the new exams when the time comes around.
  • Options
    Ching01Ching01 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Now I am in a hurry to take BSCI before they update it, I also received the email regarding the new exam code.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ching01 wrote:
    Now I am in a hurry to take BSCI before they update it, I also received the email regarding the new exam code.

Hurry,hurry you only have 19 weeks left before its updated.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    So there aren't any updated books yet?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    skaeight wrote:
    So there aren't any updated books yet?

Nope it looks like everyone was caught off guard on how much would change. Cisco has no books even announced on the site. The links in the updated CCNP prep center take you to existing manuals. Trainsignal has been releasing new videos for CCNP and was going to release CIT this month. Boson just released their final CCNP simulator and it contains no 1800 or 2800 routers. One of the big kit sellers on ebay started selling 2811's this week but they cost as much as a 3550 switch. There are no 1800's really being advertised yet. This "may" increase the difficulty and cost of doing the new ONT and ISCW unless you can find rack access with x8xx equipment.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    I vow to have my CCNP before the update, and I have not taken one exam yet! :D I am taking BCSI next monday and I go from there! I am a gluton for punishment! CCIE is next after that!!
  • Options
    If I take the old BCSI, and then can't finish any of the other exams before 12/31, will the old BCSI still count towards CCNP if the rest of tests I take are the new versions?

I kind of wanted to start looking at BCSI, but this mucks things up. Also the lab equipment is going to be a problem, because I really don't have a ton of extra money to spend.

Are the 2500/2600 series routers even on the new exams at all, or is it all the newer equipment?
  • Options
    yes it will count, you can take 3 tests on the old, and have a last test on the new and it will count. You have 3 years worth of credit towards CCNP if you take one of the tests.
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    If I take the old BCSI, and then can't finish any of the other exams before 12/31, will the old BCSI still count towards CCNP if the rest of tests I take are the new versions?

I kind of wanted to start looking at BCSI, but this mucks things up. Also the lab equipment is going to be a problem, because I really don't have a ton of extra money to spend.

Are the 2500/2600 series routers even on the new exams at all, or is it all the newer equipment?

Each 642 exam has a life of 3 years so after you finish you BSCI you have 3 years in which to finish you CCNP, which is plenty of time

Dont panic just yet people, just because features from 12.4 Advanced Enterprise services are going to be introduced doesnt mean **** all you old equipment!!! it means the you will probably only be able to do 90-95% with 2500/2600's and for the other 5% either buy a couple of 2800s (or the cheaper 3640) or rent online for those bits.

The exact same thing has happend with CCIE but it doesnt mean suddenly a Router is useless the fundamentals dont change overnight!! :)
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    I was just on Cisco's Certification chat support. I was asking about something inregards to my CCNA, but anyways I figured I'd ask how long it would be before new self-study materials are released for the new CCNP exams.

She said 6 months! Until then they are recommending people take their recommended training, which consists of classes. That means there will be a 2 month period where it's pretty much impossible to self-study for a CCNP exam (old exams are phased out 12/31/06 and according to her the new books won't be out until Feb-Mar '07).

I hope she's wrong about this, this really is going to throw a wrench in my plans. I may try to get moving on the current BSCI exam, but I'm not really sure what I want to do.
  • Options
    According to CiscoPress, self study materials won't be out until late 2006 - early 2007. Personally, I find that grossly unfair.
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    That is quite ridiculous, but if you really want to pass all you have to do is look at the new objectives and find individual books devoted to each one...Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    According to CiscoPress, self study materials won't be out until late 2006 - early 2007. Personally, I find that grossly unfair.
    Yeah, going by what the person I spoke with said, expect early 2007 at best.

Given this fact, it really does seem like the decisoin to introduce new exams was made by the marketing department.