Options

C2600 Platform, Machine Check Exception on boot up

mgodinezmgodinez Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

So I managed to get a C2600 router in my lab setup, but have already encountered my first problem.

Upon boot up, the router shows the following:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)
C2600 platform w/ 131072 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0X80008000, size: 0X1419308
Self Decompressing the image: ####################
*** Machine Check Exception ***

The load stops at this point.

I'm researching this problem on the internet , but thought I would try the techexam resources as well.

Regards,

mgodinez

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Sounds like a bad image or bad hardware.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mgodinez wrote:
    I'm researching this problem on the internet , but thought I would try the techexam resources as well.
    Since you're researching, I'll just toss out a guess -- since it happens on the decompress of the compressed IOS image -- I guess a corrupt IOS image.

Try another image, or redownload that one. Or pull a known good image off another 26xx.

Also -- what kind of 26xx? an XM? or an upgraded 26xx? Does it have the bios to support the 128 meg of memory?

If you still have the solid green power light, you probably don't have to worry about bad hardware, yet. Pull any modules out if you can.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

So I'm still beating up on this Router - Cisco 2621XM

In hopes that it was a bad image, I tried to restore the router to factory defaults by:

Power Cycled the Router. Ctrl-Break via hypterterminal to get to rommon 1> prompt.

At rommon1>prompt, command entered in was:

confreg 0X2142
    reset

After the router reboots, it seems to hang after the:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)
    Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

mgodinez
  • Options
    Hello,

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, I thought I would post how I resolved this dillema:

Followed the procedure entitled:

How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 via TFTP Using the tftpdnld ROMMON Command.

This document is on cisco's site.

I used the solarwinds std. edt. tftp server.

I had a c2600 image on a CD that came w/ the router. I copied this into the TFTP default root folder and used a crossover cable from the TFTP server to the router fa0/0 interface.

I was wary initially, because after configuring the router's fa0/0 port via rommon...I could not ping this interface via the TFTP server.

Ran the tftpdnld command w/ fingers crossed, and sure enought the TFTP server message window started to show the files transferring.

It was weird, because after copying the IOS image to the router...it still would not boot w/ the 0x2102 register setting. I changed it to 0X2142, reset, and then back to 0X2102 and all is well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!

Regards,

mgodinez
    seattle, wa