Options

70-290 compared to CCNA

unwritt3nunwritt3n Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Ive got my ccna and mcp for xp. Really wanna get more into the server side of things too. I did a month course on 70-290 but never took the exam. (dont ask). I think if i study it up for a few weeks i should be able to sit it. Having done my ccna now, i think ccna is probably harder then the 70-290 exam. What do u guys think is harder?

btw: 70-290 is Managing and Maintaing a Windows 2003 server
Studying: 70-290, CCNP 1, CCSP 1

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Two very different exams, but yes, I agree CCNA is harder than the 290, especially if you already passed the 270. It also depends a lot on your experience with Cisco and/or Windows 2003.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Having taken 70-290 and studying up for CCNA as we speak, I can give an opinion on this. I'd say that the CCNA is larger and more encompassing than any one MCSE test on its own. However, in terms of sheer amounts of information to process, understand, and remember I'd say that the CCNA commands about the same workload as 70-290 and 70-291 together, at least. (I didn't find the 70-270 particularly difficult, so I don't throw it in there, but you might measure something like Security+ or A+/Net+ on top of the the two Server 2003 tests).

All in all, I'd say you're looking at about as much of a commitment for CCNA as you would if you were taking the full MCSA. Mainly, I'd say this is because most people are learning Cisco technologies from the ground up, as opposed to having some experience here and there with Windows products and concepts. (Again, this is a rough estimate, but I think it's where most people fall, unless they've had the opportunity to be around Cisco routers and switches for any longer period of time, prior to studying for 640-801).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    A few things that made CCNA harder than MS exams.

1. Command lines. Since Cisco is all CLI for the exams, there is lots of detailed information to learn. You can find patterns between versions of commands to help, but still lots of detail to remember.

2. Passing score is much higher for CCNA than most MS tests. My score of 800 on my first CCNA attempt would have been a respectable MS score.

3. Those sims can be daunting. Though part of the problem is probably because of my item 1.: CLI.

4. Time limit. MS tests give most of us plenty of time to think things through and even time to review the entire test if you want to. CCNA exam gives you very little time to waste. I could have probably passed my first attempt if I felt I had time to work through the sims.

5. Subnet math. Although I have taken and passed calculus in HS and college, I am slow and error prone with my basic math. I understand the concepts of subnetting and binary, but have a hard time doing them in my head. Cisco provides no calculators. MS tests aren't challenging in that way. They provide a basic calculator, but I never needed to use it.
  • Options
    ok cool..

Well as of next monday.. i'll start opening all the 70-290 material. MCSA here i come!!
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    CCNA is much closer to the whole MCSA program in difficulty than any one single MCP exam. Microsoft exams have lower passing scores and plenty of time is provided, whereas a quick survey of the forum shows most Cisco candidates passing without a significant amount of time remaining. The only thing which makes Microsoft exams particularly difficult is the wording - in comparison, Cisco tells you want they want, it just takes more thinking to come up with an answer for their questions.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    mikey_b wrote:
    he only thing which makes Microsoft exams particularly difficult is the wording - in comparison, Cisco tells you want they want, it just takes more thinking to come up with an answer for their questions.

Yeah i really noticed that when i did my 70-270 MCP. The questions were like 300 words long, and all it was, was a little simple answer.