Options

Replacing a power supply on Emachine T2682

THartmann9374THartmann9374 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
The emachine's 250 watts power supply died (verified by testing this power supply), so I went to CompUSA and got a new power supply that has a switching ON/OFF which old power supply doesnt have ON/OFF. I put it in the emachine and light was showing, but the motor didn't start from the power supply. I attached ATX and CPU wires exactly like the old power supply.

So, do I have to order a specific power supply from Emachines since this power supply from CompUSA is incomptable because of difference between ON/OFF switch and no ON/OFF switch?

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yes, you may have to order a custom power supply from eMachines if the one you bought doesn't work. Having worked as a tech for CompUSA, ironically enough, I know that some boards require "different" power supplies, for some inexplicable reason, (usually because packaged systems sometimes come with proprietary parts).

However, the first thing I'd do is either use a power supply tester on the new power supply to ensure that it works, or test the system out with another power supply. It could just as easily be that the one you bought is dead, as well. Other than that, I could only really recommend maybe trying a more powerful power supply, just to be safe(?)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Hello,
    The emachine's 250 watts power supply died (verified by testing this power supply), so I went to CompUSA and got a new power supply that has a switching ON/OFF which old power supply doesnt have ON/OFF. I put it in the emachine and light was showing, but the motor didn't start from the power supply. I attached ATX and CPU wires exactly like the old power supply.

So, do I have to order a specific power supply from Emachines since this power supply from CompUSA is incomptable because of difference between ON/OFF switch and no ON/OFF switch?

Thanks, Tom

If the power supply you got from CompUSA doesnt work, it's not SOLELY because it has a on/off switch, and your old one doesnt. It could be other things.

By the motor not moving, are you talking about the fan? Is it an Enermax Noisetaker? Or Antec SilentPower? Or any other 'silent' type power supply? Some of those will have a temp. variable speed on the fan, so if it's not hot enough, it wont turn on.

What kind of video card do you have? Radeon 9800 series, Radeon X850 series etc... will require extra power from the power supply to the card.

Try to boot up your computer with only the Main ATX rails, the 12V rail, and if needed the video card. See if your board POST, if it does, one-by-one connect your devices (cdrom, dvd, hdd, floppy etc...).
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to go to emachines website to see if they require a specific power supply (i.e., you have to buy it from them). Some computer vendors do. I think I remember Dell going this route.

It is a good idea to check on this before you attmept to replace a psu in a name brand PC.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    A switch on an ATX power supply is simply to turn off the AC to the supply itself. This will ensure no power is going to the board, not even the standby power, which is needed to allow the board to turn the power supply fully on.
    Some ATX supplies don't have a switch. The equivalent is to pull the plug.

If the EMachine won't come up with the new power supply, it could be the EMachine itself (MoBo, CPU, RAM, etc).
  • Options
    Just want to update on my situation. I got a power supply from Emachine for 49.95, but I got a same result. I decided to screw Emachine (didn't want to pay 159 dollars for the replacement motherboard) and went down to the PC dealer near Best Buy to buy a new motherboard - same specifications cuz of the cpu chip for 54 dollars.

I took Emachine case apart and put a CPU chip into a new motherboard along with a stick of DDR DIMM and plug in Power LED and SW while the motherboard laid on the desk on the protection foam. The motherboard finally ran for the first time with the display on the monitor to show me that the CPU chip is working.

Tomorrow I will reassamble the new motherboard into Emachine case along with new power supply.

- Tom
  • Options
    Just want to update on my situation. I got a power supply from Emachine for 49.95, but I got a same result. I decided to screw Emachine (didn't want to pay 159 dollars for the replacement motherboard) and went down to the PC dealer near Best Buy to buy a new motherboard - same specifications cuz of the cpu chip for 54 dollars.

I took Emachine case apart and put a CPU chip into a new motherboard along with a stick of DDR DIMM and plug in Power LED and SW while the motherboard laid on the desk on the protection foam. The motherboard finally ran for the first time with the display on the monitor to show me that the CPU chip is working.

Tomorrow I will reassamble the new motherboard into Emachine case along with new power supply.

- Tom

In additionally, I meant a CPU chip from Emachine motherboard worked on the new motherboard. I was relief cuz it was risky to put a chip without damaging.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Dead MB? I've seen it happen before.

There are 2 other things I've seen before that are easy fixes that are easily overlooked even by pros.

I helped a friend of mine when he was having trouble... I thought it was interesting that he was calling me because I usually consider him to know more than I do.

One thing he did not apparently know was that there is an extra power source for the CPU. I plugged that in and well.... It worked but just not through he power button yet.

He also did not have the power button wired to the MB yet.... Didn’t see any clear signs on the MB as to which pins needed to be utilized so I took the screw driver I had and (2 at a time) completed the connection between the pins until I found the correct ones to turn on the computer....

Apparently he did not know of that trick as well....

Anyway, just thought I would throw in a couple little things to think about.