Options

Using a 2600 as a frame relay switch

SpudageSpudage Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is there any way to get 3 or more serial ports in a 2600 to use as a frame relay switch?

I keep reading conflicting info.

Eg, I have read that if you use both smart serial ports on a WIC-2t, you shouldn't use any other serial ports either in the other WIC slot or on a NM.

I have also read that the 2600 doesn't support NM-4T (which would be ideal for using to connect to 2500s.

Can anyone clarify?

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a 2600 running as a FR switch.It has 2 Wic-2t and 1 NM-4T.I have 2 NM-4T cards and 7 wic-2ts and havent had any problems swapping them between my various 2600s.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    That sounds very promising. Wonder why the Cisco doco said what it did? Maybe it's just not recommended in a high utilization production environment.

So you have 8 serial ports in a 2600 and it all works dandy?

Excellent!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes it works fine for me, but i have read here other people have problems.
    Maybe its not recommended as the serial bus migh not have enough capacity , i dont know as i havent got into looking at the hardward yet.Wildfire had problems with wic-2t's but they work fine for me.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

I think I'll take the risk next time I see these items at a good price. If it doesn't work out I'll just have to sell them again.
  • Options
    david_rdavid_r Member Posts: 112
    Spudage,
    Why not get a NM-4A/S? I didn/t find any limitation on it.
  • Options
    darwinismdarwinism Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The NM-4A/S is what I have, but have yet to use it. Probaby not working on my frame-relay switch until next week. I think there are only like $35ish on ebay. I bought a complete kit from there, althought it shipped with a WIC-2T, I dont have any other router that has a smart serial conntector. Weird.

Note: I am a retard, I just realized I have smart serial to DB-60 cables
    If you are living in the Columbus, OH area and studying for the CCNA click the following link.

CCNA looking for study partners in Columbus, OH