Forgot what you've learned?

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
Accepting a job that doesn't allow one to use his/her skills is a very common issue for the IT pro today. I had a position as a sysadmin where I used a small portion of what I really know and it really bothered me, I quit and accepted a contract as a net admin and it's still the same ball game. Alas, It's really hard to get a well rounded position these days. Prior to these 2 positions, I had a job that where I did a lot and learned a lot. Now, I am struggling not to lose some of my skills.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Yup, it happens. I am starting to get rusty with my Novell stuff already, since the call volume for post-sales support has dropped, let alone Novell specific ones. And I consider myself an expert on core Netware and Groupwise, and pretty good at the new included installable features.

That's why I turned down unlimited year access to a bunch of e-learning since I wouldn't get any references I could keep that way.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My last job I worked for a small consulting and system integration company and worked with Linux quite extensively and also firewalls and routers. It's been 3.5 years and I am pretty rusty in my Linux and Cisco skills these days.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    It happens.

It's just the nature of things, especially in IT.