Options

Future certs and the Resume

guy+micguy+mic Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Should I mention that I am scheduled to write MCP and CCNA certs on my resume?
Also I have written my A+ but have yet to receive the certificates, is there a way to prove that I am indeed certified to a potential employer?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I would only list pursuing one or the other if you decide to put that on your resume with regards to your first question. MCP or CCNA but not both. Part of me leans towards not putting on pursuing , so my take is either way. I would more support putting pursuing a cert on if you already have say two towards a larger cert say two for the mcsa and you are pursuing the next in the chain.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    The rule of thumb is that if you don't have a credential, you simply don't list it even if you are an inch away from getting it :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't put it on there
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would have to agree with the general consensus. The time for mentioning what certs you're working on is during the interview process, if asked what experience you have, what you work with at home or in a lab, and, of course, if you actually are asked if you're pursuing certification. (This question was asked of me during my last interview, and now I not only have the job, they're both paying for and training me for the CCNA.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    If you passed the A+ exams then you are certified. The score report from the testing center in the official document that says you are certified. the certificates from CompTIA are mere decoration. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If your employer needs proof that you have a cert, you can have CompTIA publish your certification records from your account on the CompTIA website.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah slowhands right, u can goto comptia.org/careerid and in you account you can "publish certicification" this basically sends whoever you want an email vfrom comptia to prove you are a+ etc.

personally on my cv, i know all the above dont agree, but if you already have certs and you have wrote down your experiance etc, then you could put an area saying "future intentions" (for example). then put in the future you want to pursue the following things....then this may (or may not) show them you are still willing/wanting to learn. but i would only put one biggy on i.e. ccna OR mcp. not ccna,mcp,mcsa,mcse,ccda etc because that would look like your full of it abit i fink.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    I only put on what I've got. If I were an employer, I don't think I would want to see that. But someone mentioned tell them at the interview stage - I agree with this.

In my case, I was in the process of earning my Server+. I got an interview for a job and one question dealt with staying current in the IT game. I mentioned that I would be Server+ certified within a couple of weeks. I earned the Server+ last week. I then e-mailed the interviewer telling him that I indeed get the Server+ that morning. He replied that he was grateful for the update and that he forwarded that to the HR department.

I still haven't heard of the outcome so wish me luck! To the job-gods - I need this job!!! bowing.gif