study areas?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey

this is my first microsoft exam, so i am abit weary of how i approach it.
but what areas in particular would you recommend studying for the 270 exam?

i hope to pass this as i will bypass a few semesters of my degree because this course is mandatory of it.

any help would be appreciated.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Microsoft exams arent that much different than the CompTIA ones you have completed.
    Types of questions you may not be familiar with is active screens, hot area, list, trees, and sims, 70-270 doesnt have sims tho.

One of the big feature on XP that I think microsoft is really promoting is remote desktop and remote assistance.

Good luck.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    I thought my first MS exam (70-270) was much different than the Comptia exams; more sims, and the multiple choice answers all seemed plausible whereas w/ Comptia it was more obvious what the answer was. In essence, it seems like MS is trying to trick you.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well, i have not completed my book yet but i took the online test here and scored a meresly 62%!

i feel so hopeless now!

• gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Nel ! I feel just like you ..... MS exams are way different than Comptia.... and YES, they really try to trick you . I am currently working with Testout, I did the same for my Comptia Exams, but this time the questions are sooo different. I can spend 10 mn per questions, cause they are really tricky.... I hate the multiple choice questions icon_evil.gif And yes, I am really scared ... but I am done going throught the material, I am planning to work on one set off objectives every day, questions, answers and going back to what I have missed + any practice skills for each objective. Hoping to take the exam in one week !!! icon_eek.gif

So thanks Bighorn, I will make sure to know about RDC ...
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The Microsoft exams can be a bit daunting at first, since they are most peoples' first look at a vendor-specific exam. The joke is, "There's the wrong way, the right way, and One Microsoft Way." You're always looking for the Microsoft way, regardless of which study materials you're using. Even if you know that an answer is the way you'd do it in the working world, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go for the way Microsoft recommends.

Good places to start finding information about the 70-270 exam:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.asp

And for general information about other tests on the MCSE track:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    well i hope to do the exam in the up and coming weeks i guess.

is the exam still 58 questions? and is the duration actually 2hrs30mins?

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I just passed mine last month. 58 questions and 2½ hours.

Know RIS, Hardware Profiles and NFTS/Share permissions

Good luck!
    so what would you guys recommend the best approach to the exam is?

i have nearly finished all of my book but i am going to go over all the objectives in a practical sense.

what is the best way to approach the questions on the exam because there pretty long?

also which areas would anyone suggest going over.i was going to go over RIS, remote assistance, NTFS permissions.

what else would you suggest concentrating on?