Options

Cumulitive Permission Confusion...

davetuckdavetuck Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've read MCSE Windows XP Professional Training Kit, and am now reading Sybex MCSA/MCSE Windows XP Professional Study Guide, 3rd Edition (70-270). Early on in the book there is a test exam with the following question...

12. Susan is a member of the Sales and Managers groups. The Managers group has been allowed the Full Control permission to the D:\DATA folder. The Sales group has been allowed the Read & Execute permission to D:\DATA but has been denied the Full Control permission. What are Susan's effective rights?

1. Full Control
2. Read & Execute
3. Read
4. No permissions

Answer:

B. Susan is not allowed the Full Control permission because it was explicitly denied through her membership in the Sales group. She is allowed the Read & Execute permission. See Chapter 9 for more information.

I thought if a group was denied full control, then the user would have no access at all, I've run this past a few people who agree with me.

Can anyone clarify whether the answer above is correct?

Thanks

dave

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    She'd have zero control and wouldn't even be able to look at the folder.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right, should be no permissions... if you set it to deny full access that will override anything else..
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    LOL... I remember that question! I used the Sybex book as well...Sounds to me like you have a good understanding of the subject.
  • Options
    davetuckdavetuck Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone - wouldn't you think by the 3rd edition they'd have put that one right!

Maybe I have a chance of passing 70-270 after all!!
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Since full control is really 'All rights', I would agree. However, if it is treated as a separate permission, even though that permission gives all other permissions, it might be possible that she could get read/execute, but could never get implicit rights through full control.

That might be something to try for real.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I AGREE. I am studying 70-270 as well and have seen this a few times
    and i would say deny all since it cancels everything out.

amen! icon_eek.gif