Options

advise : CCNA or Linux+

gins007gins007 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
As you can see I've got A+, Network+ and Security+ certs. I"m currently studying for Linux+ and hope to take the test by December. What would be the benefits of studying for CCNA be? My goal is to get a job in Network Security. Currently finishing up a 2 year degree in Computer Forensics and will have that in December.

Comments

• Options
    ASUSTeKASUSTeK Member Posts: 148
    If i was in your shoes I'd go for the CCNA. This will add to your knowledge of networking since you are already Network+ Certified. You must understand a network and how it works before you can attempt to secure it.
    The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IMO the CCNA will benefit you more overall. However, having a good balance of Linux is becoming more and more important. How familiar with Linux are you?

If you have a decent amount of experience with Linux I would get your CCNA and then move on to the LPI certifications which are a little more advanced and hold more value than the Linux+ cert.

LPI information

Good luck.
  • Options
    gins007gins007 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux. Have been using it for about a year but still think I could use more work on it especially at the command line. From the replies so far it would seem that Cisco certification would be more of a benefit now then later. So Cisco it is.
  • Options
    MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    As others have mentioned, go for the CCNA. If you want to add some Linux credentials to your CV, do the cert from LPI. Forget Linux+. I see no reason why anyone should get a 4th comptia cert. Time to move on to the next level icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you're already studying for the Linux+ cert, stick with it. If not, make a decision if you want to go directly to more advanced networking concepts right now, or if you want to stick with the Linux anyway. If you do want to stick with the Linux, decide if you want to go on with the Linux+ or do something like LPIC.

In my opinion, though, get the Linux+, then go on to CCNA. After that, move on to either a pro-level Cisco cert or take a look at a systems admin cert like MCSE, RHCE, or SCSA.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I kinda did something similar. . . I was half-heartedly studying for the CCNA when took a side trip and burned rubber through the Linux+ (this was just before they changed the exam the first time around, and I wanted to shoehorn it in before the exam got tougher).

I think the Linux+ will help you prepare for your CCNA. It will get you better acclimated to subnetting and to various TCP/IP subjects you will explore in detail for the CCNA. The Linux+ doesn't have much name recognition, but you can always sell it on your own to potential interviewers ("hey, I have a basic Linux cert").

Anyway, my two cents is: finish Linux+, go on to CCNA.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Cisco certification would give you the benefit of learning Cisco routers and switches.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Get both Cert's what the HECK!!!!Turd burger : )
  • Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    CCNA rulez man , Linux/UNIX can be learned very easy over the internet , and the cert is not really so important but CCNA learn's you a lot and give the CCIE oportunity , I recomand CCNA ! The one who sat it know better ;)
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)