Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• Options
    tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's got both web and cli, I find it simalar to Cisco, have not done too much with it. The 2524 are layer 2 units, while the 3500yl's are will do Layer 3, like the Cisco 3550's.

I have not messed around too much with them, powered them up, tested, factory reset them, and got them ready for lab use.

I am more focused on my CCNA currently, as there appears to be more market value and the ProCurve currently. We will have to wait and see what happens over the next while, while 3com and HP get things sorted out...
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
  • Options
    bsmithx84bsmithx84 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's my ccent/ccna lab, with my custom throw together rack despite little $.

Very cool!

Here's my small ccna lab, been slowly building it off ebay. Lights on for show icon_lol.gif

2iu2viw.jpg
  • Options
    CiscoInsideCiscoInside Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is mine:

2x 2620XMs
    2x 2524s
    1x 2610
    1x 2611
    2x 2950s
    1x 3924

img00069201003182006.jpg

I combined my home network into the rack as well, including a Dell PowerEdge 1750 server.
  • Options
    CiscoInsideCiscoInside Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay well I did some upgrades to the rack and new equipment:

img00080201004041258.th.jpg

img00081201004041258.th.jpg

img00082201004041258.th.jpg
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Good stuff CiscoInside,

I received my Skeletek over the weekend. I have a couple of devices on it now, waiting for some more things I won on eBay to arrive.

I'll post pics later once they're in...
  • Options
    kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just a few things have i put together.

Some more equipment is on order. but here is what i have:

3X2620
    2X2950
    2X3550
    1X2500
    1X1720
    1XDell KVM Rack mount
    1XIBM 36U Rack Cabinet
    1XIBM Workstation 3.4GHz 3GB Ram 500GB - not show in pic behind monitor

mobile temporary rack used on the road to training classes
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Been on a buying rampage lately.
    Top to bottom;

2 2950's
    1760 160/32MB, FXS, T1
    3524 Inline Power
    25XX (used for WAN simulation)
  • Options
    How timely, I was just cleaning up my rack today and took pics of it without all the wires.... here's from earlier today...
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Here is my CCNA lab.
    From top to bottom:
    Fios Actiontec router and Netgear 5port switch
    2620XM
    2950 24ports
    2950EI 12ports
    2950EI 12ports
    2620 Framerelay (w/o NM module)
    2511 Access Server
    Sony P4 desktop that soon to be my firewall machine.
    RSwhite.jpg
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    Looks like a lot of us have the Skeletek.....
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Looks like a lot of us have the Skeletek.....
    I noticed that, too. The rack is pretty sturdy, so I have no complain about it. I actually like it.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    Here's mine. I have a 19u rack. I still do not have everything that I need to configure the lab to my satisfaction. I want to buy 6 WIC-2t cards and cables.

Pictured :
    3 - 2650's
    1 - 2650XM
    1 - 3512
    1 - 3550-FX
    1 - 3550

I have 3 more 2650's and a 2610 that are not pictured. One of them will end up being a FRS. I also have a 32 port Cyclades access server on the way. I'm tired of having to keep moving around the console cable. lol

I'd like to add an ASA 5505 at some point. Going to be a few more months before I have a serious need for it though. In the meantime we have some brand new Cisco gear being deployed at work which means I might be able to salvage some upgrades. I'm hoping to remove the 3514 and replace that with another 3550 or a 3560. I'm also keeping an eye out for router upgrades as well. Thankfully I'm in no rush.

007.jpg?psid=1
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    JSK wrote: »

I also have a 32 port Cyclades access server on the way. I'm tired of having to keep moving around the console cable. lol

have you used that brand before? how do they compare to the typical cisco ones? they look to be cheaper on ebay but i've never really heard of them and can't find any reviews
  • Options
    have you used that brand before? how do they compare to the typical cisco ones? they look to be cheaper on ebay but i've never really heard of them and can't find any reviews

Nope, never used one before. I didn't want to spend the asking price for a Cisco access server or a NM-16A module. I got the Cyclades TS2000 for $39 shipped.

I downloaded the manual from here : Avocent - Cyclades-TS Terminal Servers

The only thing I'm unsure of is what cable I need to connect the Cisco devices to the terminal server. I hope that it's just a straight through cable. But I have a feeling I'm going to be busy with my crimper. lol :)
  • Options
    cool.. well let me/us know how it ends up working. i may pick one of those up. the prices on the cisco servers that are just going to be used on a home lab are pretty high, as i'm sure you know

this sounds like a reasonable alternative
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    posted this in the CCNP section:

tshoot_lab.jpg

4 x 2621XM
    1 x 2610 as frame relay switch
    2 x 3550 EMI
    2 x 2950 EI
  • Options
    Nope, never used one before. I didn't want to spend the asking price for a Cisco access server or a NM-16A module. I got the Cyclades TS2000 for $39 shipped.

I downloaded the manual from here : Avocent - Cyclades-TS Terminal Servers

The only thing I'm unsure of is what cable I need to connect the Cisco devices to the terminal server. I hope that it's just a straight through cable. But I have a feeling I'm going to be busy with my crimper. lol :)

just found this
    link-cyclades-netra.jpg
    Many vendors have adopted the wiring scheme used by Cisco Systems, including Sun (Nertra and SunFire product lines, among others), Juniper Networks, and ADC CMTS, Enterasys Dragons, Nokia VPN Gateways, Server Technology PC. Logical Solutions console servers also use this wiring scheme, but they can set their ports to either DTE or DCE modes. (In DTE mode, the Logical Solutions devices look like a Cisco console port.)

When connecting a Cycldes terminal server to Cisco-wiring-scheme devices, the best method is to use a straight-through 8-wire cable, such as a CAT-5 Ethernet cable between the Cyclades console server port and the female end of the ADB0039 "Cyclades to Cisco/Sun" in-line RJ45 adapter. The male end of the ADB0039 adapter then plugs into the Cisco-scheme port. (Yes, an 8-wire CAT-3 cable would work fine, if you can still find them.)

Lantronix SCS console servers use the null-modem opposite wiring of the Cisco port. You would need to put a USOC-rolled cable between the Cyclades ADB0039 adapter and the Lantronics ports.

The connection will not work if you put the ADB0039 adapter on the Cyclades end of the cable. The adapter needs to go on the Cisco-device end of the cable.

Rather than list all of the possibilities here, I have created a Cyclades Host-to-Adapters Page, which lists the various combinations of devices which use the Cisco RJ45, and other DB25 and DE9 connector types. The list also tells you which adapter (or cable) you will need to connect each device to a Cyclades console server port.

thought it might help. sounds like it should be pretty easy to use cisco gear with this setup!
  • Options
    just found this

thought it might help. sounds like it should be pretty easy to use cisco gear with this setup!

That is a good find. I wasn't aware of those adapters!

I did a forum search earlier and found a forum member (kalebksb) that has the 48 port version. He made his own cables and posted this helpful information.
    In case anyone ends up buying one this is how I wired the cables for Cisco equipment:
    Cyclades End (T568-A):
    Green-White
    Green
    Orange-White
    Blue
    Blue-White
    Orange
    Brown-White
    Brown

Cisco End:
    Blue-White
    Brown
    Orange
    Blue
    Brown-White
    Orange-White
    Green
    Green-White
  • Options
    That is a good find. I wasn't aware of those adapters!

I did a forum search earlier and found a forum member (kalebksb) that has the 48 port version. He made his own cables and posted this helpful information.

yea here's a pinout of that adapter that is mentioned..

link-cyclades-ciscoc.jpg
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2651XM
    2651XM
    2620XM
    2620XM
    2511 access server
    3550 PoE
    3550 PoE

And yes, I gave my routers motorcycle brand names. Easier to remember when configuring them.

photo-1.jpg
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I use hockey players. Starting with the Russian 5.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'll need to upgrade to a 20U from my 12U here soon. I just found a deal on Craigslist, 2950's for $30 a pop. I'm grabbing 2 to add to my 3550 PoE EMI and 2960 switches.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options

My Cyclades TS2000 arrived yesterday. I didn't have too much time to play with it but I was at least able to boot it up and clear the passwords, etc. I had some problems trying to establish a connection to my Cisco devices. I found out the access server still had an old configuration and it was trying to use radius authentication.

Today I was on the Avocent forums and found the procedure to reset the device to the factory defaults. Once I did that all I had to do was give the CAS an IP address and netmask. I connected port 1 to my Cisco router and it worked like a champ.

One feature I wasn't aware of is that you can log into the web interface of the device and connect to any of the serial ports. The terminal window opens up inside your web browser. So technically you don't need to have Teraterm, Hyperterminal, etc. installed.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    How timely, I was just cleaning up my rack today and took pics of it without all the wires.... here's from earlier today...

very nice :)
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How did you guys get your racks themselves? I saw some instructions for building one, but I am not inclined in such areas.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I must be really boring, my labs named as

R1, R2, R3, R4, SW1, SW2, SW3..... ;)

Thats what comes from being dyslexic, no point giving them names when I will forget how to spell them by the following day.. LOL
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    How did you guys get your racks themselves? I saw some instructions for building one, but I am not inclined in such areas.

A lot of guys have the Skeletek racks. You can order them online or on eBay. Seem to be a really good value for the price. I was close to getting one myself but I stumbled upon a local company that builds custom enclosures. I got a 4 post 19U rack for $55.
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »

A lot of us have Skeletek racks. Do a google search. I forget the company that sells them.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    typeshtypesh Member Posts: 168
  • Options
    fly351 wrote: »
    very nice :)

Thank you, now that it has wires hooked up, it's back to being messy...

icon_redface.gif