Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First two pics are of my Skeletek rack

img0553yc.jpg

img0554i.jpg

Next is a 2620 which connects to my ISP

img0556ds.jpg

A fibre run goes over to my workbench, where I have a server and two switches

img0557k.jpg

And finally, here is my old school ISDN simulator

img0555fb.jpg
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Netwurk where did you get that ISDN simluator man I want one
  • Options
    jovan88 wrote: »
    Netwurk where did you get that ISDN simluator man I want one

It's an Emutel Lite and when I got it five years ago they were going for around $150

And it looks like they still are

ISDN Simulator Arca Tech Emutel Lite V1.2Lc US NET2xU - eBay (item 310255808395 end time Oct-27-10 14:23:34 PDT)

:)
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    OMG...one of those labs are way better than my college lab
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    I thought I was the only one who did spaghetti :)

and thanks for the ISDN simulator link. I was thinking about the Ameritec Central Office AM7 simulator, but yours look better even if it's more expensive.
  • Options
    Wow, I thought folks were going to mock my ISDN simulator as outdated. And here the first two replies want one.

Go figure.

ISDN is still used in the real world, but is no longer tested on Cisco exams. No NDA violation here, at this point in time it's just a well known fact with the possible exception of CCIE exams which expect you to know EVERYTHING
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Everything looks good and all but why do you have the 2926 boat anchor? Is there a risk your HP server will float away if its not weighed down by that switch? :D

Yup. ISDN might not be on the CCNA syllabus anymore but you'll still find it lurking out there in many networks as a backup system.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    My poor little lab.... icon_cry.gif

You guys make me wanna get on ebay....
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Everything looks good and all but why do you have the 2926 boat anchor? Is there a risk your HP server will float away if its not weighed down by that switch? :D

Yup. ISDN might not be on the CCNA syllabus anymore but you'll still find it lurking out there in many networks as a backup system.

The 2926 is actually a very robust switch as far as fast ethernet goes. And I hang on to it as upkeep on my CatOS knowledge. But I have to admit that I haven't powered it up for quite a while.

The ISDN simulator is still a cool toy. When I got it, the CCNA textbook had a whole chapter on it but that was five years ago.

It still is useful to use as an extra complication to my EIGRP configs for my ROUTE exam studies.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    My poor little lab.... icon_cry.gif

You guys make me wanna get on ebay....

Nothing wrong with your lab. I'll post up pictures of mine sometime, its not that far from yours =). I prefer to buy just the equipment I need and rack what I am using.

This will change as I further pursue the CCVP though
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Wow, I thought folks were going to mock my ISDN simulator as outdated. And here the first two replies want one.

Go figure.

ISDN is still used in the real world, but is no longer tested on Cisco exams. No NDA violation here, at this point in time it's just a well known fact with the possible exception of CCIE exams which expect you to know EVERYTHING

That's the reason for not mocking the simulator. While not tested, it's still used out there. Though it prudent to at least now it.
  • Options
    Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man... you guys have some pretty sweet lab setups! I just ordered a bunch of stuff and I'm waiting for it to arrive... should be here in the next week, and I'll post pics of my new lab.

Is it bad that I'm more excited about my lab than I am about working toward/getting the CCENT/CCNA? LOL!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man... you guys have some pretty sweet lab setups! I just ordered a bunch of stuff and I'm waiting for it to arrive... should be here in the next week, and I'll post pics of my new lab.

Is it bad that I'm more excited about my lab than I am about working toward/getting the CCENT/CCNA? LOL!

Thats exactly how it should be :) playing with it and learning should be what keeps you motivated. Getting the actual certs and passing the exams is just a bonus.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    egb893egb893 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's a pic of my lab
    5046538248_1ac299077b.jpg

2 x 2610
    2 x 2924
    Asus wireless router loaded with dd wrt set to wireless bridge mode.

I will definitely be upgrading before I start studying for CCNA Security
  • Options
    egb893 wrote: »

2 x 2610
    2 x 2924
    Asus wireless router loaded with dd wrt set to wireless bridge mode.

I will definitely be upgrading before I start studying for CCNA Security

Good start, nicely racked.

Not sure if it would help with CCNA Security, but adding a 2950 to your set of switches would be a good idea. In that way you can use something very close to the current command set.

For a good book on switch security, check out

Amazon.com: LAN Switch Security: What Hackers Know About Your Switches (9781587052569): Eric Vyncke, Christopher Paggen: Books
  • Options
    egb893egb893 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Good start, nicely racked.

Not sure if it would help with CCNA Security, but adding a 2950 to your set of switches would be a good idea. In that way you can use something very close to the current command set.

For a good book on switch security, check out

Amazon.com: LAN Switch Security: What Hackers Know About Your Switches (9781587052569): Eric Vyncke, Christopher Paggen: Books

Thanks! I plan to get a couple 2950s and 2650xm. That book looks interesting, I will definitely check it out.
  • Options
    wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2950 24 port average price 300-350

2514 2501 maxed average price 50-75

2520 maxed, i say about 100

2600 series with no cards unmaxed average price 100-350(maxed 150-400)

3550 48 smi u can find for about 1200-1500 (add couple hundred to that for the emi 48 )

nm-4e 75-100
    nm-4a/s 50-75
    wic1t 25-40
    wic2t 50-75
    wic t1 75-125

THESE ARE JUST GUESSES, and of course u can find way luckier deals!

I'd say those prices are a too high. I get all my stuff on eBay and here's what I've paid:

2950 - $80-100
    2500 series - $30-40
    2600 series - $50-60
    3550 - $150 - SMI, $250-300 - EMI (I actually just bought the 3550 SMI and then threw the EMI image on there. It made more sense).

Never bought modules, so I have no idea if those prices are correct.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    I'd say those prices are a too high. I get all my stuff on eBay and here's what I've paid:

2950 - $80-100
    2500 series - $30-40
    2600 series - $50-60
    3550 - $150 - SMI, $250-300 - EMI (I actually just bought the 3550 SMI and then threw the EMI image on there. It made more sense).

Never bought modules, so I have no idea if those prices are correct.

I paid $90 to fix my old 3550 (it needed a power supply). But you are right, they can be had for $150 if you are patient and wait for a good ebay deal

But we are getting way off topic, we need

MORE LAB PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    imag0066u.jpg

2900xl
    2900xl
    2900xl

soon maybe a frame switch, a couple 2950s and a 3550...then a bunch of WIC cards for my 26xx's
  • Options
    Looks good Phildo

Don't recall ever seeing a transceiver with the RJ45 port on the side. It works for the gear in your lab as the crossover cable looks to be just long enough to make the connection.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    updated my setup a bit today....

From this:
    before.JPG

to this:
    after.JPG

I took the 2900s and the 2500 routers out. At this point with a half decent PC you can virtualize basically anything you need to do with a router. I now have 4 2950s so i really didn't need the 2900s... and i still have the 2651/2620XM and the 3600 for any labs that need a router.. Put in the D-Link gigabit switch as well. Most importantly, its cabled better and is much cleaner.

edit: i'd also like to thank ebay sellers who delete IOS files but not the config. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    Here is some shots of my Lab, I have pretty much got it completed(for now) need to strap-down a couple of the cables and such, but you get the idea.

I did order some replacement power cords, currently I have the 6ft standard power cables, but the ones I ordered are 18inches and 3ft, to clean up some of the power cord area.

CiscoLabC0op3r_7.jpg

CiscoLabC0op3r_8.jpg

CiscoLabC0op3r_4.jpg

CiscoLabC0op3r_5.jpg

CiscoLabC0op3r_3.jpg

CiscoLabC0op3r_2.jpg

CiscoLabC0op3r_6.jpg

CiscoLapFrontPanel.jpg
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Here is some shots of my Lab, I have pretty much got it completed(for now) need to strap-down a couple of the cables and such, but you get the idea.

I did order some replacement power cords, currently I have the 6ft standard power cables, but the ones I ordered are 18inches and 3ft, to clean up some of the power cord area.

Z3ro,

Your rack looks like its coming along nicely... but you'll probably want to reverse mount your routers! It'll be easier to get to the modules, wics, ethernet ports, etc... just a thought...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    wow i'm diggin that console panel, whered ya get it? certainly cheaper than buying a 2509 or 2511 or one of the WIC cards. (not as flexible but whatever)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Z3ro,

Your rack looks like its coming along nicely... but you'll probably want to reverse mount your routers! It'll be easier to get to the modules, wics, ethernet ports, etc... just a thought...

-Peanut

Thanx, yeah I thought about it, and it might happen, but esthetically it would look terrible (I did mention my OCD before right?)
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    wow I'm diggin that console panel, whered ya get it? certainly cheaper than buying a 2509 or 2511 or one of the WIC cards. (not as flexible but whatever)

I had it made at a place called Front Panel Express , I did not know about the 2509RF when i had it made, but I kinda like it also as its unique.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how much did that control panel cost you from that website?
  • Options
    Amco wrote: »
    how much did that control panel cost you from that website?

Right at 57.oo$ shipped
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    AmcoAmco Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right at 57.oo$ shipped

Sweet I might get one! I'm beginning to build my lab now. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□

Very nice and clean setup bro, its inspiring to be honest with you. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Very nice and clean setup bro, its inspiring to be honest with you. icon_thumright.gif

Thank you thats very nice of you.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com