Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• mmhqmmhq Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After reading a lot over the past few weeks, here's the small lab that I built. I guess it's enough for the CCNA and can be extended for CCNP.

4 x 2611XM (128/32) w/ 2xWIC-1T
    1 x 3640 (128/32) w/ 1xNM-2FE2W and 1xNM-4T
    2 x 2950G-48
    Console Server (Debian Linux)

(Click for larger version)

ccna1t.png

ccna2t.png
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    mmhq wrote: »
    After reading a lot over the past few weeks, here's the small lab that I built. I guess it's enough for the CCNA and can be extended for CCNP.

2 x 2950G-48

Did you put (4) 2 port serial cards in that machine?
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Did you put (4) 2 port serial cards in that machine?

Nope, it's two of these:

DeLOCK > Produkte > PCI Karten > 89075 Delock PCI Karte 6x Seriell

There's no room for the last two serial ports but I don't need them right now :)
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did you support the 2801 and 3550's I had to support mine with brackets on the front & the back of the C16U rack?

Nothing. Right now, there's a box behind it to support it. But, once the 3560s arrive there won't be a support. Probably just the 2950 at the bottom to support half of it.
    :study: Life+
  • mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is my non-functioning lab. It's none functioning because I still haven't figured out the combination of cabling I need. It's nothing special, just some stuff I got on the advice of a few lab threads.

3 Cisco 2950 switches
    3 Cisco 2620XM routers
    1 Cisco 1721 router
    1 NM-4A/s card
    2 Wic-2A/S cards

1001480g.th.jpg

1001475vx.th.jpg

Sorry for the annoying picture links, I'm not well versed of properly inserting images into forums. If you have a better way to post them I'll take any suggestions.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If I had the money for a decent camera, I'd spend it on more cisco gear icon_lol.gif

My gear from top to bottom:
    Two 1721s with T1 cards
    24 port patch panel
    Catalyst 2950
    Geist rackmount powerstrip
    4U server (used for dynamips)
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im just getting starting on ICND1 and 2. We are moving and everything is unhooked right now

5398952418_7b04321dd9_z.jpg
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    carwashguy wrote: »
    Im just getting starting on ICND1 and 2. We are moving and everything is unhooked right now

Is that one of the NM-Switch Modules in a 2600 series router? I always thought that was pretty cool.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Is that one of the NM-Switch Modules in a 2600 series router? I always thought that was pretty cool.
    Looks like a NM-16ESW which would make sense if that really is a 2600XM.
    zerglings wrote: »
    Finally, complete CCIE rack - well, almost. I need six more cables! I know, the cabling is a mess.
    Eh? Looks okay to me. I've seen way worse in production!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »

Same here. Our old server/router room where I work was once nicknamed spaghetti city. We've since cleaned up nicely thank you but for a lot of folks it's easier to just connect on the fly and fix it later.... oops

:)

For labs (and even production centers who don't use the modern cabling) you should always use wire markers

180px-1-45_Numbers_851.jpg

The investment of a few dollars for a pack of markers is well worth it.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zerglings wrote: »
    Finally, complete CCIE rack - well, almost. I need six more cables! I know, the cabling is a mess.

166634_190543397639933_100000528217386_647789_6819834_n.jpg

Nice rack. I had a stack of 2500's but its all in storage now and rely on remote racks when I get the time to use them. Kind of miss having the kit around. When we move house I will put it all together again. I may borrow some modern stuff from work and use the older gear for legacy labs :)
  • PlanetaryPlanetary Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, been a lurker for a while thought I may as well post my lab. It's nothing fancy, but it got me through CCNA R&S. (apologies for the bad photos, can't find my digi cam)

From the top:

Dlink 24port 1g switch
    Pix 501
    Juniper netscreen 5gt
    Dell inspirion (running FreeBSD as a gateway/firewall)

2 desktops are currently a VM server (left) running Citrix Xen clients are Ubuntu, OpenBSD, Windows 2k8r2. Right is my FreeNAS box.

Not pictured (it is, but you can't make it out) is a Citrix AG2010 (got it cheap from a company that was going out of business)
    IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here. Our old server/router room where I work was once nicknamed spaghetti city. We've since cleaned up nicely thank you but for a lot of folks it's easier to just connect on the fly and fix it later.... oops

Trust me, I've seen way worse than this in production as well. Still, I would love to make mine as neat as possible but oh well. I like to post some pictures that I took but I am having second thoughts. :)
    Nice rack. I had a stack of 2500's but its all in storage now and rely on remote racks when I get the time to use them. Kind of miss having the kit around. When we move house I will put it all together again. I may borrow some modern stuff from work and use the older gear for legacy labs
    Thanks! It took quite some time to build it the way it is. I think it's worth it. Yea, the 2500s are old but they should serve their purpose on INE's labs as BB2 and BB3. The other 2500 on the very top is the access server so it'll be used often but not in the topology.
    :study: Life+
  • simplysimply Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Noticed you have CCDA, CCNP, but you don't list CCNA... You had to get CCNA before getting CCNP or CCDA correct?
  • simplysimply Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MMHQ,

Super nice lab. Thanks for sharing picks. If you don't mind me asking, how much did cisco equipment cost you?

Did you purchase all cisco equipment at once or piece by piece?

Are you running lab in your home?
    If so, how's
    * noise
    * heating

2 x 2950G-48

ccna2t.png
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    simply wrote: »
    Noticed you have CCDA, CCNP, but you don't list CCNA... You had to get CCNA before getting CCNP or CCDA correct?

The CCNA is a pre-req for the CCNP, but it is not for the CCDA. Alot of people don't list previous certifications in the path because they are implied.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    MMHQ,

Super nice lab. Thanks for sharing picks. If you don't mind me asking, how much did cisco equipment cost you?

If so, how's
    * noise
    * heating

The Cisco stuff cost about 1.300€. I contacted serveral refurbishers and let them make me offers. The rest of the lab I had lying around or bought it at some random online store.

Yes, the lab is in my dorm room. Everyone has a different tolerance for noise. I guess I can live/work in a rather loud environment. But once I'm finished testing something I turn the lab completely off and the volume of the music down ;)

I can't really tell you about how much heat comes from the routers/switches because most of the time there are a lot of other devices running that produce even more heat. My window is almost permanently tilted (I hope this is the right word :) ) even without the lab running.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MMHQ,

If so, how's
    * noise
    * heating

2 x 2950G-48

ccna2t.png

That console server looks awesome. What did that one cost?
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does this count?

icon_smile.gif
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »

Indeed.
    An oldie but a goodie

wires3.jpg

Nice lab zerglings btw
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Netwurk wrote: »
    That console server looks awesome. What did that one cost?

As posted earlier (http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics-20.html#post492403), I bought two 6-port cards for ~30€ each.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Does this count?

icon_smile.gif

It does if its in Windows and you tell me how you got the qemu host to work.
  • tonytonesssstonytonessss Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I plan on purchasing a lab set up on craigslist and I was wondering if the equipment listed below would be sufficient for the CCENT/CCNA? Please advise, thanks!

Cisco 2620XM Router

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(21a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    SDM v2.5
    128MB RAM
    2 Fast Ethernet Interfaces
    1 ATM/Voice AIM

Cisco 3620 Router
    IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-I-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    32MB RAM
    2 Ethernet Interfaces
    1 Serial network interface

Catalyst 2950 Switch (24-port)
    IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6K2L2Q4-M), Version 12.1(22)EA12, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Catalyst 2925XL (24-port)
    IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)XU, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

PIX 506
    Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(3)
    Licensed Features:
    Failover: Disabled
    VPN-DES: Enabled
    VPN-3DES-AES: Enabled
    Maximum Physical Interfaces: 2
    Maximum Interfaces: 2
    Cut-through Proxy: Enabled
    Guards: Enabled
    URL-filtering: Enabled
    Inside Hosts: Unlimited
    Throughput: Limited
    IKE peers: Unlimited
    This PIX has a Restricted (R) license.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tony, you've got one good router and one ho-hum router with not enough interfaces in either, one good switch and one switch that is only useful as a 3rd or 4th switch, and a firewall that you don't need (for anything, the PIX is not on any exams anymore). I'd pass unless you're paying under $100 for the bundle. You will still need to make additional purchases after picking this up.

This is why we generally recommend not buying a pre-assembled kit. They're generally overpriced and underperforming. Besides that, doing some research and buying all of the pieces yourself is a big part of the learning process.
  • JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    bertieb wrote: »
    Indeed.
    An oldie but a goodie

wires3.jpg

Nice lab zerglings btw

Best part about the pic is the drop light hanging from the wires!! lol
    Jollycork wrote: »
    Best part about the pic is the drop light hanging from the wires!! lol
    Its the sign IMO. Like any sane person is even going to contemplate touching the abomination! :)
  • seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Nothing like good ole job security.
  • SUBnet192SUBnet192 Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's my sort of current lab...

IMG_0913.jpg

3 x 2950 switches
    2 x 2620XM
    1 x 2620
    1 x 2610 w/NM-8A/S (perfect as a Frame Relay Switch)
    1 x 2511 terminal server (not shown)

1 Linksys SRW2024 Web Managed Gigabit switch
    2 VMware ESXi servers
    2 QNAP iSCSI storage devices

I just ordered some more gear today to extend into a CCNP lab.
    1 x 3640 Router
    1 x 3550 Switch
    1 x 2650XM Router

I passed the CCNA exam 2 weeks ago.