Options

Post Your Lab (PICS)

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks. I've set up several ISDN connections years ago, mainly for email, some for back up connections, 1600 series only. And even though I can imagine it's not a very fun topic for people to study, I kinda like ISDN. I've written some ISDN TechNotes for a previous version of the CCNA exam, of which especially the theory still applies: www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/isdn.shtml
    I agree they aren't a must for a lab though, and considering the cost of the sim, the money is often better spend on an router or switch. But, routers/modules with ISDN interfaces are relatively cheap, and like you said, you can still expect to run in to a ISDN connection, so it's surely a nice 'toy' to have.

you would think you're paying for the equipment, but actually, all of those you see are free from Cisco.

makes you think what they're doing with the money....
    The electrical bill maybe but if the profs and material is good it sounds like worth the money to me.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    here's my Boson Netsim CCNP lab (that I do my CCNA work on). It's got five 2950 switches, two 2600 routers connected via frame relay, and lets me test just about every routing protocol, as well as STP and intricate VLANs. It hasn't failed me yet :)

lab.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Jammywanks wrote:
    Nice lab bighorn... I just recently got mine through UPS shipping. Everything is good to go now. Two 1720's w/ 1wicT cards, back to back serial to one 2520 router cause it has two Serials, and then two 2924xl switches connected to each 1720 ethernet. I'm gonna see if I can get a small frame relay setup before I head off to bed. Getting the real thing makes learning this much faster. And interesting too. And everyone is getting the CCNA now. Makes the pressure much higher now that I'd have to rush to get CCNP. This stuff isn't easy to learn overnight. But I am definitely getting somewhere now.

heh, yours isnt bad either. Your cable management could use some work though.... icon_rolleyes.gif

I was going to get 17xx too, but I was thinking they're going to be hard to stack. Where'd you get your 29xx switches? Ciscokits also?

Your camera phone actually has pretty good resolution, what's the make+model?

---
    As promised, I took some "real" photos, and not just visio drawings:
    IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3755.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG

Also, I found some pictures of my school's GRAD LAB....only the 17 or so people enrolled in the grad program can use 'em.....I believe they have AT LEAST 17 different POD setups.

http://www.dg-network.com/misc/cisco2514/more/schoolLab/

icon_eek.gif HOLY CRAP!!! I bet it's warm in that room icon_wink.gif
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote:
    Here's how my lab looked when I first started it.
    clab.jpg.w300h225.jpg
    LOL...I hope you're keeping up on the 2500's oil changes. :D
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yup, the old routers need regular oil changes ;)
  • Options
    Here's my new lab. It's got point to multipoint frame relay connections with redundant dial on demand ISDN BRI to each remote site, running VLANS across the WAN, including access lists, some spanning tree environments, and all of that good stuff.

bignetmz3.th.gif
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Added: I like your wooden rack Orion82698

This is what my lab looks like currently, I've invested about $2000 dollars over the past few years into it
    I dont really use it any more lol, I'll probably end up selling rack time, so I can make my money back off it lol...

1x 2511-RJ 16/16
    2x 2610 64/16
    2x 2611 64/16
    1x 3620 NM-1E2W 64/20
    1x 3640 NM-4T NM-1E2W 128/32
    2x 3524XL

Everything runs at least enterprise basic, frame switch running 12.4 ent+ I beleive.

*link dead*

Ill try to take some pictures and load them when I can ^_^
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    romainromain Member Posts: 222
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    This is what my lab looks like currently, I've invested about $2000 dollars over the past few years into it icon_mad.gif
    I dont really use it any more lol, I'll probably end up selling rack time, so I can make my money back off it lol...

1x 2511-RJ 16/16
    2x 2610 64/16
    2x 2611 64/16
    1x 3620 NM-1E2W 64/20
    1x 3640 NM-4T NM-1E2W 128/32
    2x 3524XL

Everything runs at least enterprise basic, frame switch running 12.4 ent+ I beleive.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3469/ciscolabwl6.jpg

Ill try to take some pictures and load them when I can ^_^

Really nice lab ! :D
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if i were you guys, i would get a pix instead of a 2500 to connect to the internet.

router is responsible for routing, pix is responsible for firewall

anyway, i am at work right now so can't take any pictures.

but i got the following..

1 x ISDN simulator
    2 x Cisco 2950 Switch
    1 x Cisco 1900 Switch
    2 x Cisco 2600 Router
    2 x Cisco 1720 Router
    4 x Cisco 2500 Router

For the Cisco 2500's, i dedicated one of them as a access server, another one as a frame relay router, and other two as a ISDN router.
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    Paul Boz wrote:
    Here's my new lab. It's got point to multipoint frame relay connections with redundant dial on demand ISDN BRI to each remote site, running VLANS across the WAN, including access lists, some spanning tree environments, and all of that good stuff.

bignetmz3.th.gif

This is awesome !!!!!

Nice work :D
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Below is a diagram of my lab. The lightning bolts show the connections to a 2501 router that is set up as a frame relay simulator.

netdiag.gif
  • Options
    pr3d4t0r wrote:
    This is awesome !!!!!

Nice work :D

thanks, if you have the Boson Netsim software I can email you my topology file :)
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • Options
    sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.infiltrated.net/mydesk/homelab/CiscoLab%20016.jpg
    @home:
    2 2501's, 1 2524, 2 MC3810's w/FXS, 1 3620, 1 Cat5000, 1 Cat 2900, 1 Juniper Netscreen 5XT Ultra, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin crap. Not pictured: 2 3640's.

icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.infiltrated.net/mydesk/homelab/lab_at_work/CiscoLab%20010.jpg
    Lab @ work:
    2 3512's w/Gigabit ports and cables, Merge 2000AF-RM ISDN simulator U and S/T interfaces, 2 3620's (VoIP/ISDN), 1 2620 (VoIP GW IOS), PIX, 1 2501 Router, 1 2511 (terminal server with 2 8 port breakout cables), 4000 w 8 Serial/ 2 Ethernet ports (Frame Relay), LS1010 w/MMF module, 2 4500-MMF ATM modules and serial and ethernet cards

Not pictured, a couple of 3640's, some Foundry's (we use these in our lab @ work sometimes)...

I've always been a slacker when it came to certs. I've never really needed them nor sought them. I went a few steps forward to come backwards now...[/img]
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i see you guys posted a lot of interesting pictures on here :)icon_eek.gif
    some pretty routers up thurr ;)
    i was just wondering has any one tried dynamips sim???
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Webmaster wrote:
    Also, I found some pictures of my school's GRAD LAB....only the 17 or so people enrolled in the grad program can use 'em.....I believe they have AT LEAST 17 different POD setups.

http://www.dg-network.com/misc/cisco2514/more/schoolLab/
    A late reply, but: wow icon_cool.gif

yeah....it's the grad lab at my school part of electrical and computer engineering.....12 courses each @ 4000CAD covers the CCIE R&S track.

only 40 or so people have access to that room besides the profs and GAs.....

you would think you're paying for the equipment, but actually, all of those you see are free from Cisco.

makes you think what they're doing with the money....

Ahh that would be the UoIT program ? I am going to kick myself in the nuts if you say yes..
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    n3tw0rkg0d wrote:
    i was just wondering has any one tried dynamips sim???
    Yeah.... but we don't want it to get out until we unload all our old hardware on eBay. icon_lol.gif

There are several threads, but most of the links can be found in the consolidated post I made in the CCIE Sticky Poor Man's Guide to Building a CCIE Lab thread.

HELLZxPHADER has a couple servers with bunches of network adaptors (those funky USB ones?) up and running talking to real switches and routers. I haven't gotten around to trying a PIX-4FE network card in one of my Linux Dynamips servers yet.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Ahh that would be the UoIT program ? I am going to kick myself in the nuts if you say yes..

no... NOT UoIT...they have other stuff....suppose to have more to do with IT Security.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Work Lab:

http://infiltrated.net/WorkLab

Pictures are so and so... Restated

2 3512's w/Gigabit ports and cables, Merge 2000AF-RM ISDN simulator U and S/T interfaces, 2 3620's (VoIP/ISDN), 1 2620 (VoIP GW IOS), PIX, 1 2501 Router, 1 2511 (terminal server with 2 8 port breakout cables), 4000 w 8 Serial/ 2 Ethernet ports (Frame Relay), LS1010 w/MMF module, 2 4500-MMF ATM modules and serial and ethernet cards

I actually have made another lab too with too much junk to list but its geared for CVOICE junk. Just waiting on this HP crap, then I will devote some time to that. Maybe 3 hours a week.
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nice pictures of the work lab. I notice that you have a Merge 2000 isdn simulator sitting there. Merge has long disappeared it seems and left their machines in limbo. You don't happen to have a electronic version of the manual do you or know of a source for one? Getting tired of making mine do things by trial and error. icon_sad.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647

no... NOT UoIT...they have other stuff....suppose to have more to do with IT Security.

UOIT has network and security specializations. They offer a masters degree in Information Security which is awesome.

So what school do you attend that has such nick racks icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    So this is my current lab set up I switched a lot of things up. I tried keeping the pictures somewhat identifiable...

http://www.infiltrated.net/Mar2520072.jpg
    http://www.infiltrated.net/Mar2520073.jpg
    http://www.infiltrated.net/Mar2520074.jpg

In order...

Cisco 7960 (4 total 1 pictured)
    2 Cisco Netscouts (1 pictured (e1t1) GBSX not pictured...)
    Pix 506e
    2 4500M's (1 w/4port Eth, 4pt Ser... 1 w/TokR... Eth, etc)
    3 3810's (all with DSP modules, 2 w/FXS modules, all with T1/E1's)
    1 2524 2 serials & ISDN (I have all other modules)
    1 2501
    1 3620

... Fore ES3810 pictured I use with a Catalyst 5000 switch I have that I barely turn on... Too noisy...

Not pictured... 2 Juniper Netscreen 5XT's, 2 2501's, 1 3640 (too noisy)...

For those buying their labs... This is the breakdown of what I paid... (Not kidding either)

$ 0.00 7960's I got from work (I work at a VoIP company)
    $ 40.00 Netscout's. I bought them for packet analysis for security stuff on the side... Each cost me under $5.00 I paid like 15 in shipping each
    $150.00 Pix 506e ... Bought it from a client who upgraded to 515's
    $ 35.00 2524 on eBay during xmas... Included shipping. I bought all modules during the same week. All three for $10.00 plus $5.00 in shipping... Router was untested and sold for like $3.00 (not kidding)
    $ 45.00 for both 4500m's via eBay.
    $100.00 3620 buy now during xmas via eBay. No modules... I have a WIC-T1 and 56/64k DSU I bought for both $70.00
    $51.00 for both the 2521 and 2610 with shipping included. The seller on eBay saw memory errors... Would have helped to open them. They didn't have memory. Memory for both maxed out... $80.00
    $25.00 - 40.00 for the 3810's.
    $30.00 Catalyst 1924... For a lot of 6 Catalysts with cracked frames... Do I care if they're cracked? Nope. Do they work... Yup...
    $10.00 Fore 3810 switch... Not a Cisco lab piece of equipment...

If I had to put a high amount of the amount spent for everything you see... I still got it all for under $800.00
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    so far:

1 2514
    1 2520
    2 2501
    2 2504
    1 1912
    1 Linksys cable modem
    1 linksys router/wap

planning to add a 2950 or two, a 2600 router, and in the future i'll add on more as i need it.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    JCrouseJCrouse Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heres my lab.
    2x2621
    1x2611
    1x2521
    1x2511
    2x2950
    1xPCI-ISDN Simulator(the shuttle box)

jlab2.jpg
    Dont blame me, I just work here!
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    I like that. specially the dry erase board, might pick one up so i don't waste paper writing ****.

what did the ISDN simulator cost you?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    its a VConsole one. I spent 175 bucks on from Ebay.

The whiteboard is great. I would say everyone needs them!
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    JCrouse...

Looks like a nice view...where was that vacation? icon_wink.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    Thats Castle Neuschwanstein. Walt disney based his Disney Castle off of it. Its in Germany about 4hrs from where I live. Great place. Get with me in PM's if you want more info.

http://www.neuschwanstein.com/english/index.htm

JC
  • Options
    iprouteiproute Member Posts: 269
    You guys have some slick and extremely complex looking setups. Mine may seem fairly rudimentary for now, but it grows by the day ;)

Equip: 2x 2620 Routers, 2x 2950 Cats

lab.gif
    CCNP Progress
    ROUTE [X] :: SWITCH [X] :: TSHOOT [X]
  • Options
    week4securitylab.jpg

Setting it up is easy... The security rules kill me @ times. E.g. On router 8... Configure embryonic sessions for 132 seconds from R6 only at noon. Configure filtering without using ACL's from say router 6 to router 5[/img]
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sexion8 wrote:
    Setting it up is easy... The security rules kill me @ times. E.g. On router 8... Configure embryonic sessions for 132 seconds from R6 only at noon. Configure filtering without using ACL's from say router 6 to router 5[/img]
    Embryonic, huh? I'm gonna have to look that one up.... :D